Friday 27 October 2017

Upcoming travel plans (an update)

For all these years, due to my work commitments and work schedules that are only confirmed at the last minute, I am usually not able to book or confirm my travel plans far out in advance. Also, I try to avoid booking non-refundable air tickets months ahead as well.

Normally, June and December are the months where I know my travel plans can be confirmed. But outside of these 2 months, my schedule becomes certain. So sometimes I will hesitate to book deeply discounted tickets in economy or business class. A loss of opportunity costs. That's the nature of my work.

Now that things are winding down and approaching the year end festivities, my schedule becomes more transparent. But alas, some bad news to my previously booked travel plans.

I will not be able to join the inaugural silkair flight to hiroshima departing on 30th october. As I booked the cheapest tickets, this means I will incur a loss on the tickets.

Another bad news. Cathay pacific changed their equipment on my business class flights from sin to bkk. Previously, it was on the a350 that I am eager to try out. Recently, when I manage my booking on the website, I saw that it has changed to a 77w and a330. So right now I'm still not sure if I can or I want to go on this flight. Again, if I forgo this trip and get a refund, I will incur another loss.

On a happy note, my jetstar inaugural flight to Okinawa and my latam business class flights from mexico city to easter island is more or less confirmed. I'm still quite excited !!

In addition, because of my latam flight, I will need positioning flights to mexico city as well, and giving me a chance to visit the city for the first time!

In addition (again), I have long since booked my sia flights from hkg to arn (stockholm), taking advantage of the ~$600 flight at that time, which is considered a steal, given how expensive sia long haul flights can be departing Singapore. This time, I'm planning to cover the Baltic states of Estonia, Lithuania and Latvia, as well as parts of eastern europe. Will update again as soon as my europe plans firm up.

And finally, back to my america flights,  I have recently started following travel blogs featuring deeply discounted economy and business class tickets. I manage to snag a ~$600 flight on hainan airlines from shenzhen to san francisco. Then a ~$300 flight on aeromexico from san francisco to mexico city as part of my positioning flights.

Sounds complicated I know. But a lot of firsts!
First time to shenzhen
First time on hainan airlines (5 star airline), on their B787, A330 and their narrowbody planes
First time on aeromexico
First time to mexico city, easter island, chile (transit only)
First time to the baltic states and eastern europe

All in all, I will be abroad for a month. Starting from hong kong, I will head to europe and back. Then I will do a short train crossing from hong kong to shenzhen for my trip to north america and south america then back.

Visiting 3 continents for this year end. Quite a haul for me!