Sunday 10 December 2017

Transfer between Hong Kong Airport and Shenzhen Airport

I am in San Francisco now. I have completed my Europe tour and it felt great. Now I am embarking on my America tour.

Before I relive my Europe tour memories here, I want to review the transfer procedure between Hong Kong airport and Shenzhen airport. Which turns out to be easy.

There are several ways to do the transfer. The cheapest but probably tedious way is to take the metro or coach.

I tried the ferry transfer. It is not cheap, but is efficient. After arriving at Hong Kong airport, I followed the signs to the E2 ferry transfer counter. The transfer costs hkd$295 including one free checked bag. Subsequent bags costs hkd$60 each.

After payment, there are plenty of seats to wait for boarding. There are a few frequencies between Hong Kong airport and Shenzhen furong ferry terminal which is close to Shenzhen airport.

Boarding begins 30 minutes before departure. Once past the boarding area, I have to take an escalator down to board an airport shuttle train to the ferry terminal.





There are guides along the way so the journey to the ferry terminal is intuitive. The airport is connected to the ferry terminal all the way so I was never under the weather.

There are boarding gates for different ferries to different destinations such as zhuhai and macau.

The white ferry behind is the one taking me to Shenzhen. Once arriving at the ferry terminal boarding gate, there was only a couple of minutes wait before boarding began 10 minutes before departure.

There are plenty of empty seats on the ferry. Even though seating was assigned on the ticket which don't really correspond to the actual seat numbers on the ferry, it seems passengers can seat randomly.

This route doesn't seem to have much passengers as furong terminal is not close to the city centre. More for passengers connecting to Shenzhen airport. There is another ferry route to a different part of Shenzhen closer to the city centre.

Legspace at each seat was alright, similar to economy seats on airlines. A foldable tray was at every seat.

The ferry left on time and took ~45 minutes to reach Shenzhen furong terminal. Unfortunately the windows on the ferry cannot see through for the entire journey so I cannot take any photos at all.

There is a drinks stall selling some drinks in front of the passenger seating but no one bought anything on this short journey.

After the ship docked, I went through China arrivals immigration. There are arrival cards available in the immigration building for me to fill in on the spot and there isn't any queue. Mine is the only ferry arrival at that time.

Past immigration, there was a waiting free bus to take me to the airport for a ~10 minutes ride.

Yup. All in all, an easy, albeit not cheap way to get to Shenzhen from Hong Kong. I don't need to go through Hong Kong immigration and my baggages are collected for me at Hong Kong airport (need to submit all the baggage tags at the counter) and transferred to Furong terminal. I just have to lug my baggages from the ferry terminal, through immigration to the bus transfer.