Wednesday 30 May 2018

Scootbiz Singapore to Osaka flight review

My mid-year travels have begun ! I'm very excited to once again travel. I have taken a short trip to Osaka, Japan and returned to Singapore. This is a warm-up to my longer trip. Haha !

I booked a one-way trip to Osaka on Scoot. Some months back, there was a promotional price of S$179 for the cheapest one-way fare. 

My intention was to position for my SQ business class flight from Osaka-Singapore as the SQ flight has to be booked originating from Osaka to take advantage of its promotional price of S$900 on its latest B787-10 aircraft. And that was a fantastic experience in itself ! More on that in a subsequent post.

Anyway, a few days before my scoot flight, I received an email to bid4biz. The lowest possible bid was $90 which I thought was reasonable for a 5 hours 45 minutes flight. I put in the bid and within 24 hours to departure, I received another email on my successful bid.

With Scootbiz, I was able to select seat 1K at the pointy front of the B787 plane in a 2-2-2 biz configuration. It comes with a complimentary meal, although I couldn't select the more premium meals online that comes with ice-cream. That is one negative of this bidding program. Another negative is the pre-departure drink consisting of one small serving of drinking water. 

Another useful feature is the free scootv with limited entertainment options. The access code was presented together with the meal tray.

Previously, I had taken scootbiz once on the Guangzhou to Singapore sector. The recliner seat was similar to a premium economy seat on another airline. It was fairly comfortable. On a medium haul sector to Japan, it is definitely better than seating in the regular economy seat on Scoot and the scootv kept me entertained from an otherwise boring flight.

I believe Scoot currently serves the Singapore to Osaka sector twice on some days. This particular flight that I took, tr700, will continue on from Osaka to Honolulu. Which was why this plane is christened with a hawaiian name. The menu options feature hawaiian cuisine as well, though some are only exclusively available on the Osaka to Honolulu sector while some are available on the longer Singapore to Osaka to Honolulu sector.

Having taken Scoot flights on many occasions on its B787 planes, I felt that this flight was staffed by the most courteous crew.


Scootbiz seat with water as the pre-departure drink