Thursday 17 May 2018

Three spectacular, free night performances in Singapore !

While doing research for my upcoming holiday, I came across a website highlighting three spectacular, free night performances in Singapore. In no particular order, they are:

- Crane dance by Resort World Sentosa
- Spectra by Marina Bay Sands
garden rhapsody by Gardens by the Bay

Though they have been performing for years, I have yet to attend any of them. Recently, my work is starting to wind down and I have leisure time at night, so decided to attend all of them, on three separate nights.

I attended Spectra first. Spectra is hosted by MBS at the event plaza at 8pm every night. It is an outdoor, free for all amphitheatre style  seating. The night I went, it was raining lightly. Yet, it did not hamper the large crowds, mostly tourists, that turn up to watch. Though there are seats available, many stood by the railings to watch the 15 minute performance that began on time. Those who are seating down near the front will have their views blocked by those standing.

Spectra is purely a laser light show without any props or performers. It was an enjoyable performance put up by MBS.




On another night, I went to see the crane dance at Resorts World Sentosa. I walked into Sentosa from the mainland as it is free and the walk is very pleasant along the waterfront. Other means of transport that requires a payment includes cable car, sentosa monorail, or the bus 123 which is a local public bus.

Compared to the spectra, the crane dance set up is more elaborate. There is a floating platform of the two metallic cranes. Prior to the performance, there is even a narration to introduce the cranes, which apparently hold a world record.

Shorter than the Spectra, the crane dance lasted about 7+ minutes. The main actors were the two robotic cranes that keep spraying water out.



Just yesterday night, I went to the Gardens by the Bay via MRT to the bayfront station, followed by a 10 minute walk to the Supergrove trees. You can't miss the trees as they are gigantic and can be seen from a distance.

The light shows are performed at 1945 and 2045 daily. I watched the show at both timings, though at different locations. At 1945, I was watching the performance just outside the train station. There are some outdoor seating for tourists to sit and watch should they want.

After the first show, I went closer this time, right beneath the trees to watch the second show. When the time comes, there are much more tourists crowding under the trees.

As I waited for the second show to start, I noticed each Supertree was given a name. This one nearest to me reminded me of my favourite childhood story book and author.



The show certainly did not disappoint. There was some narration at the start, followed by the lights show created by light bulbs hanging all over the Supertrees.