Friday 1 November 2019

Tour of Hainan Island, China

After coming back from a trip to Russia, I was soon off to China for a couple of days. Hainan Island, dubbed the Hawaii of China, is similar to Hawaii in the West due to it being promoted as a beach destination.

I was fortunate to snag a return airfare at just under S$$80 with Jetstar Asia, a budget airline based in Singapore. I travelled light, so need not pay for additional baggages or other amenities that usually comes with budget airlines.

The joys of flying !

At Sanya airport


Taking the public bus from Sanya airport to the city. Little or no information is available online. Fortunately, the bus route and stops are prominently displayed at the side of the bus.


Staying at this guesthouse. There are hardly any other visitors.

The equivalent of KFC

At Sanya's main tourist attraction





It's 2019 !

From the top, it offers a scenic view of the city below.

The beautiful crescent-shaped coastline

Reading a book cast in stone

Some beautiful works of art on the staircase


This attraction covers a big area and one can easily spends a day up here.

The next attraction I went is to see the famous statue of the Chinese goddess in Sanya.

Visitors are allowed to ascend to higher ground at the statue. From there, a great view of the surrounding sea.


Some semblance to Hawaii 😀

From Sanya, I took the high speed train to Haikou, another city on Hainan Island, a short ride in first class!

By now, I have rode a number of times on this model of the Chinese bullet train. Clean, comfortable and pretty much on schedule.

Relaxing by the beach in Haikou

At Haikou railway station

Hainan Island is definitely a destination worth visiting in China. It is less crowded in June, has a pleasant environment and is free from pollution.

Though I booked a roundtrip airfare to Sanya, Hainan Island, I didn't travel back on Jetstar. Instead, I rode on an overnight train, departing Haikou, and arriving in Guangzhou in the morning. This is because after I booked this airfare, I purchased a cheap one-way fare on Scoot airline from Changsha back to Singapore. My original intention was to explore Changsha as I didn't get to explore much I was there previously. Unfortunately, this time around I wasn't able to explore again due to time constraints. Another time perhaps.