Monday 20 June 2016

Trip report United Airlines Singapore to San Francisco

Finally, Alaska - the last frontier !

Alaska is on my dream list of places of visit. It is near the top of the world and the pictures from the newspaper is always impressive. Nothing beats going there and experience it yourself.

This post is part of a series of my trip to Alaska. In this journey, there are interesting experiences which I would like to share in separate posts. I shall start with my flight experience.

In June 2016, United Airlines started flying from Singapore direct to San Francisco. It advertised in the newspapers the very attractive promotional price to fly from Singapore. ~$888 return! This price is only on offer for 3 days only. Today, it is almost impossible to fly to the United States for under $1000. I quickly took advantage of it.

With the flight booked, I put together a trip that will take me to Alaska, Seattle, Vancouver and a little while in San Francisco.

Fast forward to the start of my trip..

I arrived at Changi Airport Terminal 2 early in the morning. The flight departs 8:45am from Singapore and arrives at 9:15am in San Francisco.


My Star Alliance Gold status enables me to check in at the empty Star Gold counter. I was given the lounge invitation card to visit the SATS lounge in Terminal 2.


Deserted SATS lounge


This will be my second time taking a B787 dreamliner aircraft. My previous experience on Scoot has been positive. The cabin atmosphere is markedly less dry and giving me a better ride. It is touted to reduce turbulence compared to other aircraft types but I'm not sure of this benefit. Along the way, there are some occasions of light turbulence. Anyway, after having ride on many air planes, I'm not really affected by turbulence. 


The light dimmer on the window is one of my favourite as well




United airlines in flight entertainment is not bad


The long trek from Singapore to United States. 
The flight time is 14 hours 21 minutes. 
The longest flight in my record.


Breakfast. On this flight e-ticket, it is only reflected 1 breakfast meal. But actually, it serves 2 breakfasts and 1 snack. The food is average. Not as nice compared to the likes of SQ.




Almost reaching !


San Francisco is a United hub. So there are many United planes. I spotted some B747s from the BART station.

This flight is about 90% full in economy. I did not upgrade to Premium economy which will have cost me an additional ~US$165 I believe. To me, the economy class seat is manageable on this long haul flight. The cabin atmosphere is great and that is important to me.

This aircraft is B787-9, slightly bigger than the B787-8 on Scoot. For the price I paid, this flight is definitely worth it.

No comments: