Monday 20 June 2016

United States domestic first class on Alaska Airlines '16

This is the second series of my trip to Alaska. After arriving in the morning in San Francisco, my connecting flight to Seattle is not due until late afternoon. So I decided to take a short trip to downtown. 

The airport check in lady for my Alaska Airlines flight was kind enough to let me check in my bags many hours before the flight so I don't have to pay for luggage storage at the airport. Probably because I will be travelling domestic first class.

San Francisco airport is connected by the BART subway to downtown. I need to first take the airport train in the terminal to connect to the BART. The subway is relatively expensive. A return trip to town easily costs ~US$18. The train has plenty of seating, though it can be quite noisy.


The BART exterior

The BART interior

After alighting at the union square station, I hopped on the hop-on-hop-off bus which brings me to the Golden Gate park of San Francisco that I never explored on my previous trip here. It is less touristy but equally nice.

Back at the airport, it is disappointing to note that Alaska airlines does not have a lounge at SFO for its first class paying customers. So I spent some time wandering among the shops and buying some souvenirs.

Boarding began soon with first class. This is my first time travelling in domestic first class in the United States, so I want to elaborate my experience here. 



Alaska Airlines uses narrow body aircraft only. The tail livery is quite unique ! My aircraft has a similar design except it is in black colour.


Pre-departure drink or water bottle

It is a clear and good day for flying. 
No turbulence at all for the short 1.5 hours flight.

Appetizer and red wine

A salad dish. Quite tasty

From taking off to landing, I was treated to wonderful views from the plane. 
It reminded me of the joys of flying.



Reaching Seattle airport. It seems to be a hub for FedEx aircraft.

Seattle is also a hub for Alaska Airlines

Hawaiian airlines.
Reminded me to visit Hawaii one day.

The U.S. domestic first class seats are unlike Intra-European business class seats. The U.S. domestic first class seat features thick leather seats and more recline. But the Intra-European business class seat on a narrow body aircraft is really economy class seat in a 3-3 setting for but with the middle seat blocked out. The curtain can also be moved depending on the number of premium class passengers.

Overall, a good flight with Alaska Airlines. For this short flight, the price difference between economy and first class is about ~US$70. So I decided to splurge on it. And it is worth the experience.

No comments: