Friday 23 September 2016

Towards a new career milestone

It has been slightly over a month since I switched to a different career. Its still in the same 'industry', but basically, less stressful, flexible time arrangement and more 'me' time.

As I am now financially less off now, my overseas travelling pace is going to slow down. To date, I have traveled widely for my age. I subscribe to the familiar adage 'Travel broadens the mind'. The experiences gained from my travels cannot be replicated at home. 

I'm fortunate enough to have been to Asia, Europe, Australia and America. Some exotic places I went include Iceland, Greece and Sri Lanka. I guess this should be enough for a lifetime.

My upcoming and last extravagant trip will be to Norway and Sweden in November this year. I have been to both countries before as part of my Scandinavian tour in Summer. But now I'll be going in winter to try and catch the Northern Lights. 

According to reports, the lights are approaching the end of a peak cycle. And after this year, it may not be easy to catch them again. To add to the extravagance, I'll be taking the Hurtigruten cruise in Northern Norway, passing by the North Cape. I can then claim to literally be at the Top of the World ! 

The Hurtigruten ship is unlike a luxury cruise. It does not come with all the first world amenities. It is essentially a working ferry and it transports people staying in Northern Norway. For them, it is merely a form of transport.

The Northern Lights has been on my wishlist. I have missed it in Iceland in March this year. I hope I can catch it this time round.

I'm also taking advantage of the Qatar Airways Travel Festival to book a business class ticket to Europe for ~$2300. It is definitely a steal ! Yup, looking forward to my last extravagant trip.

There will be a lot of firsts... Qatar Airways business class on 4 segments, Hurtigruten ship, see the Northern Lights (hopefully), 

I'm also considering a visit to a Baltic state (maybe), and perhaps take the Arctic Circle train. Can't wait !

I'm still finalizing my trip itinerary. Trying to reduce my budget and to give my new experiences. Regrettedly, I have booked my return flights too short duration, as I just found out Stockholm and Helsinki both have cheap overnight cruises by Silja line ferries. Equivalent to the cost of overnighting in a hotel. 

Now that my mornings are free. With my car, I started to travel... not overseas, but around Singapore. To explore the nooks and crannies. A budget way of travelling.

So my next posts will be on ... Singapore.

No comments: