Sunday 19 February 2017

Singapore to Genting transtar first class solitaire review

My first post in 2017 ! I have taken on a new work arrangement in 2017. This work has kept me busy for the first one and a half months of this year. I intended it to be temporary as I'm saving up for my next trip.

Having travelled widely for the past years, I have managed to tick off all the places on my wishlist. Being contented, I have decided that from 2017 onwards I will greatly reduce my travels significantly.

During chinese new year festive season this year, I have traveled to Genting Highlands with my relatives for a short vacation. Genting Highlands is located in Malaysia and is a coach ride away from Singapore. Depending on the season, the duration of the trip can vary widely.

On this trip, I took the transtar first class solitaire coach service to and from Singapore and Genting. I believe this is the second time I'm taking this service. The first time being many years ago. 

Transtar is one of the coach companies offering this route. Their best service is the first class solitaire followed by premium and supercoach. This is similar to what airlines are offering as well (first class, business class and economy). In this post, I shall review the first class solitaire service.


First class solitaire

Premium

Supercoach

The first class solitaire coach is a double decker coach that sits only 16 passengers. There are two drivers and one coach attendant.

I arrived at the Golden Mile complex in Singapore at about 6am. A while later, the company shop opens and I queued up to "check-in". Soon I boarded the coach and it departed on-time at 0630.

The coach took the second link into Malaysia. There was surprisingly short queues at both Singapore and Malaysia customs despite being the first day of cny.

Once past the Malaysia customs, service began. The curtain is first drawn as the 'galley' is set up for meal service.

A bottle of water is waiting by the seat upon boarding. There is a foldable tray table and in-coach personal tv offering on-demand entertainment despite having a limited selection.

View of Malaysia hinterland

Meal service catered at a Malaysia Transtar station. This was served between two coffee/tea services.

I used my own earphones as I'm not sure whether earphones are provided.

PTV in transtar first class solitaire

A recliner seat with adjustable footrest and legrest. A blanket is provided.


Journey up the west coast of peninsula malaysia

Passing by Kuala Lumpur, the capital of Malaysia

KL tower and the twin Petrona towers

At a truck stop. The bright red food truck caught my attention and it sells delicious malaysian food.

The coach eventually arrived at Genting Highlands at about 1430 in the afternoon. It made a quick stop at First World hotel before moving to its terminus at Resort Hotel. An 8-hour coach ride.

The return coach ride took even longer, close to 10 hours due to traffic jams in some parts of Malaysia and a 30-minute stop at a local produce shop. The return service on transtar was similar, except they provided an extra snack before the coffee/tea service and the meal service. The border queues were again short.

Overall, transtar service on the first class solitaire coach is within expectations for the premium paid and the duration of the journey. Some areas for improvement would be movie selection and wifi offering.