Monday 21 August 2017

Bike sharing in SG

Since giving up driving in June, I have come to embrace the sharing economy. First for me is the car-sharing apps grab and uber. Second is the bike sharing app obike. In my previous post, I have shared my plenty of experience in car sharing. Now, I would like to give my two cents worth of bike sharing.

I have paid a refundable deposit of $49, I think, to use obike. To date, I'm still using it because, since July, it has been offering free unlimited rides in SG. In this month of August, all 3 companies are offering free rides as well.

I have only ride on obike, not the other two, mobike and ofo. So I can't do a comparison for now. In the remaining days of August, I may try ofo since I have registered as a user ever since they waived the deposit. Mobike still requires a deposit, so I'm not using that for now.

Both obike and mobike have attached baskets but not ofo.

Obike has a user friendly app. After turning on the bluetooth, just scan the barcode and I'm on my way !

It tracks the duration and cost of the ride, which is $0 for now :)


Once locked, this screen will be displayed.

A typical obike. It comes in two versions, with and without the basket.

On this day, I took a ride around the Bedok reservoir on a great evening


A platform to enjoy the surroundings

Sometimes, I come across obikes that are to be repaired or failed to connect. In that case, just move on to the next obike. There are plenty of them. It's free, good exercise, and convenient with all the bicycling tracks without steps. Highly recommended !