Thursday 19 April 2018

Update on my 2018 travel plans

I have just booked the Asiana business class flights which I mentioned in a previous post 5 days ago. Yup, this is after deliberating for 5 days. Fortunately, the discounted fares are still around. Reason being, I have, not too long ago booked SQ business class flights for a "fortune", for travel in June. After this big expenditure, I wanted to watch my travel budget to prevent myself from overspending. So I was at a dilemma for the past few days.

Now that I have booked the Asiana flights, I guess I have really overspent. Haha! The cons of having the travel bug.

Anyway, I have booked the Asiana flights as open jaw tickets for travel in december 2018. I'll be flying from Almaty, Kazakhstan to New York City and returning from Chicago to Almaty. 

Firstly, this will allow me to visit Chicago in the United States for the first time. Secondly, I get to try out different aircraft configurations. As of booking time, Asiana flies to New York on the A350 and to Chicago on the B777. While Almaty only gets the A330 plane featuring regional business class seats. Originally, the A380 is flying to New York, which gets me excited in the first place. Well, the A350 is not exactly a downgrade since it is a latest generation of aircraft.

The Asiana airline website is able to let me book a multi-city flight, a tool which is not available for every other airline. Fortunately for me, while the december dates are limited, they still work out for me. 

Booking and payment is relatively straightforward on the Asiana airline website. Seat selection is possible as well. I tried to book near the pointy front of the plane. The joys of flying in business class !

I didn't book these new flights in June as that will heavily disrupt my June travel plans. Moreover, I tried to use this to return from New York to Asia but the timing didn't work out for me. I wouldn't want to forgo more flights and especially the exotic destinations that I will be visiting in June. Think Svalbard and Faroe Island in Europe. 😊

Right now, I guess I have more or less planned out my travels for december as well. I have even managed to arrange this flight itinerary to coincide with my earlier booking of turkish airways flight from Gothenburg, Sweden to South Korea since the latter is a common city in both itineraries.

In december, other than visiting Europe and the United States for the umpteenth time, I will be visiting Central Asia for the first time. While in Almaty, I'll probably head out to Uzbekistan and some other 'Stans' as well. In Europe, I'm toying with the idea of visiting Greenland. The only thing stopping me is the high ticket prices as Air Greenland has a monopoly on the route from Denmark.

Ideally, I would have liked to book the flights and travel at the soonest date possible so that I get to enjoy the travel experience. But I have to be realistic with my travels. Well, hopefully I get to enjoy these flights in december then!