Friday 2 November 2018

In Bangkok !

Bangkok is one of the most visited cities in the world. Personally for me, it is a short flight away from Singapore. Things are relatively cheap. There are plenty of sightseeing options. It is relatively safe. It is easy to get around with the subway, tuk-tuk or the taxi.

After alighting from Phaya thai station on the airport train, I walked to my accommodation for my two-night stay. 

I didn't purchase overseas wifi for this trip, but rather, I used the google offline maps, which is actually a great alternative to locate places. The maps need to be pre-downloaded using wifi before travel. When in Bangkok, the maps' GPS is able to identify my position. The only thing that it cannot do offline is to provide walking directions. So based on me and my destination's positions, I will have to decide on the walking direction myself. Not that difficult, at least in Bangkok. I'm keen to use the offline maps for my year end trip too, reducing my travel budget as well!

Anyway, my accommodation for my bangkok trip is diff hostel, an easy, 10-minute leisure walk from phaya thai station. I shall review this wonderful hostel in my next post.

When in Bangkok, the highlight is the Grand Palace. I walked from the accommodation to there, taking close to 3 hours. Though I stopped numerous times along the way. On hindsight, I should have taken the local bus.

Passing by tesco lotus supermarket with a food court


giant swing



At the grand palace


After that, a taxi ride to the MBK shopping mall for lunch and shopping for local produce. 



Mango sticky rice

There is free wifi at the MBK mall, though it is only for 60 minutes once registered.

After the Grand Palace, it is the Erawan shrine, another popular tourist destination.


Thereafter, it is a short 10-minute walk on the elevated walkway towards the Platinum shopping mall for cheap fashion wear.


On my last day in Bangkok, I spent the morning, first at Wat Yannawa (boat temple), then to the famous Chatuchak weekend market for anything cheap.

 Wat Yannawa

At the crowded chatuchak weekend market


And with that, I checked out of diff hostel at 12pm and headed to don mueang airport for my flight home. A well-spent holiday in Bangkok !