Monday 12 November 2018

Using miles to tour the Middle East

I just had an idea on how to redeem my Qatar Airways miles before they expire in 2019. I earned those miles when I purchased tickets for my previous Qatar Airways business class trip from Singapore to Scandinavia during a promotion. On hindsight, I shouldn't have credited the miles to Qatar Airway's program due to the limited ways to use the miles.

After some basic research, I had thought of a great way to maximize the values for those miles for myself. I wanted to put them down in writing before it's forgotten.

Here goes:

1. Frankfurt to Kuwait in Luthansa first class (& the Frankfurt first class terminal for 60,000 krisflyer miles)
2. Kuwait to Doha in Qatar Airways economy class (for just 7000 Qatar Airways miles)
3. Doha to Kuwait in Qatar Airways first class (for 21,000 Qatar Airways miles). For flights within the Middle East, Qatar Airways business class is referred to as first class. With that, I can access Qatar's first class lounge in Doha airport.
4. Kuwait to Dubai in paid flydubai economy class
5. Dubai to Istanbul to London in Turkish airline B77w business class (for 25,000 krisflyer miles)

This itinerary could form part of my European tour, since it requires me to originate in Frankfurt, Germany and end in London, UK. 

Other than enjoying the premium flying experience, I will get to visit Middle Eastern countries such as Qatar, Dubai and Turkey. I will probably not visit Kuwait as it doesn't really feature many tourist attractions.

I intend to book these flights as part of my travels in June 2019. My current 2018 travel plans is almost fixed. As tempting as the ideas are to me, I wouldn't want to disrupt my 2018 plans at this point, not when I'm about to commence my trip !