Wednesday 19 October 2016

Upcoming trip or trips 2016 year-end

I have finalized my Northern Lights trip next month. A flight to the Scandinavia, a domestic flight to the top of the world, literally. A cruise on the Hurtigruten, which will be my first, a ride on the Norway train. And finally a ride on the Arctic Circle train.

Like what I have said in my previous post, I'm very excited and looking forward to it. A lot of firsts for me.

Recently, I also realized that my star alliance gold status was due to expire end of this year. Some briefs on this gold card. My gold card is obtained from SQ, which allows me to accumulate my flying miles in it. 

Over the years, my leisure flying has earned me some miles which I have redeemed for some short economy class flights and more importantly, a Suites class flight from Singapore to Auckland. In terms of other benefits, lounge access pre-flight worldwide for me and one guest when travelling with star alliance airlines such as Turkish, Aegean, Eva Air and soon SAS. Some lounge amenities come with shower and a buffet of delicious foods. Another benefit is an extra baggage which comes in handy if I'm travelling with someone.

Yup, the gold card has really given me substantial privileges, so I'm inclined to renew my gold status for another year. Now comes the issue. The easiest and cheapest way to earn miles is by flying United Airlines. Because they give 100% for even the deeply discounted tickets. Not my favourite airline of course. Plenty of negative online reviews.

I have taken one flight with United on their dreamliner B789 from Singapore to San Francisco direct. A 14+ hour flight. Quite bearable actually. Food is okay. Entertainment on the PTV screen is great on their dreamliner plane. Seat is okay for me as well as I don't have a big size. So their dreamliner is worth travelling on.

With that, I'm now planning a second trip end of this year. To nowhere in particular. More to accumulate sufficient miles to keep my status. United has some cheap flights from China and Hong Kong to a few cities in the U.S. which I'm still checking out. Hopefully I can keep my costs to a minimum. But I want to book early, having learnt my lesson with hurtigruten.

All right, that's it.

No comments: