Tuesday 29 November 2016

Bus transfer from airport to ferry and About the Hurtigruten

This is my first time taking Hurtigruten ship. There are altogether 15 of them. The one I took, MS Trollfjord, is one of 3 largest. The cruise has exceeded my expectations! I highly recommend it to all. Prior to boarding, I was aware that it is not a luxury cruise ship. It doesn't come with all sorts of fanciful entertainment. 

Before talking about the ship, I want to mention about the transfer from Kirkenes airport to the ship. The SAS flight arrived at 1100. It is well-timed to connect to the ship. After leaving the airport building, on the left there is a bus stand with buses waiting. Though online forums mention about the Hurtigruten bus transfer, there wasn't any bus belonging to Hurtigruten. Being my first time, I need to ask the bus driver whether he is heading to the ferry. Ticket money is paid directly to the driver. I think it is 50NOK. A receipt will be given.

The bus left soon after I boarded. Which is a relief. If I missed it, then probably I need to get a cab. I'm not sure if there is another bus before the ferry departs. All baggage is placed at the bottom compartment of the bus. This is similar practice to all long-distance buses in Norway.

The bus passes through residential areas before reaching the central


The bus stops by some hotels as well. This is Scandic hotel, a Nordic brand.

Amfi is the shopping mall in Northern Norway. There is one in many towns that I went.

Thon hotel

At Kirkenes airport, look for the bus that is going to Sykehus. Something which I learnt.



Before reaching the port, I can see the Hurtigruten ship on my left. Hard to miss. The bus stops about 100m away from the ship. Which is great ! The bus takes about 15 minutes from the airport to the port. The driver announces the destination at every stop. The port is also the last stop for the bus. The connection is indeed well-timed.

The Hurtigruten is first and foremost a form of transport for the local residents along the Norwegian coast for many years. Locals may take it for a few stops or days. I could board from any port to any port and the ticket price will be calculated accordingly.

It takes about 1 week to reach from Bergen to Kirkenes one way, stopping at many big and small ports along the way. At smaller ports, it stops for only 15 minutes. At major ports, it may stop for a few hours.

As tourists, we are allowed to alight at any port to take photos and explore the area. But just remember to re-board before the departure time. At major ports, the ship will sound its horn about 15 minutes before departure.

I took the cruise from Kirkenes to Trondheim. The timetable and name of the ship can be found in the Hurtigruten website. I deliberately chose the day to board the MS Trollfjord for a comfortable journey.

The website is easy to navigate. I can purchase a package tour, a North-bound tour, South-bound tour or from port to port. I can also compare the prices across different days, weeks, months and even ships. The cheapest ship is the MS Lofoten, the oldest and smallest ship in the fleet. But I'm not sure how well it manages in the turbulent sea. Even the MS Trollfjord that I'm on will sway in the rough, open sea. More significantly so compared to the luxury cruises.

Tickets are booked and payment is made on the website. I received the cruise itinerary a few days after that. 

There are some add-ons such as meals and excursions which I did not opt for. For short journeys, usually only breakfast is included. Lunch and dinner paid separately. For longer journeys, all meals are included, and the ticket price is more expensive.

Alright. It's a long post for now. The next post will talk about the ferry facilities and my exciting cruise !

No comments: