Monday 26 June 2017

SIA A330, B77W, A380 Business class review '17

Recently I chanced upon affordable business class tickets on SIA to Beijing, so booked it almost immediately while my schedule allows and before the fares are gone. SIA is a famed five star airline, one of the top in the world, and with very impressive service.

The itinerary that I booked allowed me to experience business class in the SIA fleet of A330, B77W and A380. Different aircrafts feature different types of seats. There are many online reviews of each type of SIA business class seat already so I won't go into details. I just want to share my wonderful flight experience here.

For a short introduction, A330 plane feature a regional business class seat in a 2-2-2 configuration, so not as wide. While the seat don't go fully flat, the recline is still perfectly comfortable to me.

On the B77W and A380, the seats go fully flat in a 1-2-1 configuration, the widest in the sky. More comfortable than the A330 seats.

On some routes, a mix of different aircrafts are used. SQ usually sends its A330 within Asia, Australia and India. So when choosing business class flights, if possible, choose those planes fitted with long haul seats rather than regional seats for a more comfortable flight.  

Business class on any airline usually comes with lounge access at the airport. I find it to be great to relax before a flight. The lounge varies greatly across airports and airlines.

My trip started in Colombo, Sri Lanka, and travelling on SQ business class comes with access to the Araliya lounge:


The lounge is small and with limited seating.  The window seats offer views of the airplanes. The lounge filled up close to departure time but it doesn't feel overcrowded. Food variety is limited as well with a couple of hot dishes and beverages. I didn't eat much as I would be eating on the flight soon. Business class meal is always a great experience. 😊

In flight meal: Garlic bread, my favourite !

Main course: Salmon, paired with red wine. Ordered from Book the Cook service.

Flying to Singapore. Witnessing a sunrise !

No matter which part of the world I am at, sunrise is always beautiful from the sky's perspective.

SQ A330 business class seating configuration is 2-2-2 across 5 rows in a cabin. Luckily I don't have a seatmate on this flight. The seat comes with a big screen PTV, plenty of storage areas for personal belongings, in flight literature. 

A water bottle with SIA 70th anniversary logo is handed out, together with basic amenities such as slippers and eye mask. Toothbrush and comb are available in the lavatory.

No amenity kit is provided on SQ business class on any flight. This is one area which I think SQ pales in comparison to other airlines such as EVA Air which offers rimowa amenity kit. Though some passengers may not need an amenity kit or bag, but for others, it is definitely useful. Maybe SQ could provide such an option.

In Singapore, SQ uses the silverkris lounge for its business class passengers in T2 and T3. 


I went to both the silverkris lounges in T2 and T3 for a comparison. Both offer similar great food and beverage varieties. Many hot dishes are available. T3 lounge is much bigger than T2 but it is also more crowded due to more SQ departures to far flung places such as Europe, especially close to midnight.

On the other hand, the above pictures are taken in the T2 lounge.  Very few people due to fewer flights out of T2. So probably T2 lounge provides a better lounge experience. Though my flight departs from T3, it is worth the effort even if I need to take a skytrain to the T2 lounge.

Yup. On to the flight. SQ B77W and A380 business class seats feature fully flat seats in a 1-2-1 spacious configuration. It is touted the widest business class seat in the sky and feels rightfully so. On this B77W, I get to experience the latest business class seat.


Plush pillow

Pre-departure drink: Champagne !

Lobster thermidor. Another of my favourite !

On the Beijing to Singapore flight, I get to experience the earlier generation SQ Business class seat. Different design, but still as wide and comfortable.




Satay on this flight!

Lamb loin. Paired with the Singapore Sling