Thursday 7 February 2019

A short trip to Sofia, Bulgaria

Happy Chinese New Year ! Today's the third day of the festive season. In Singapore, the first two days are set aside as public holiday to celebrate this occasion. 

For me, I decided to embark on a short adventure in Bandung, Indonesia. I left on the morning of Chinese New Year eve as I need not work on that day, and I returned on the afternoon of the second day of the holiday, making this a three day trip. It also marks the first time I flew with Garuda Indonesia, a five-star airline, on their B738 aircraft. Turns out to be a great trip for me and I enjoyed myself !

I shall review this Bandung trip after my mega trip last december. Just barely started. Haha !

I took the overnight flix bus from Bucharest, Romania to Sofia, Bulgaria. The bus arrived and departed pretty much on time. I was really relieved to board the bus as the wait was becoming unbearably cold in winter.

The bus ride itself was alright. It turned out to be quite full.  

The passport check was conducted with all passengers seated in the bus. The driver collected all passports and handed it over to immigration officers. Soon after, the officer would board the bus and call out passengers with issues. Otherwise, the stack of passports would be returned to all passengers where the driver called out the names one by one.

The bus is soon on its way and arrived at Sofia train station pretty much on time. I was in no particular hurry as I was waiting for the money exchange office to open for the day and for daylight to explore the city.

After exchanging some currency to spend in Bulgaria, it was daylight. I made my way to the nearby metro station. This involved some back-trekking as the directional signs wasn't exactly clear. The metro ticket prices was extremely cheap and affordable by European standards. The metro ride itself was comfortable and safe.

Prior to arriving in Sofia, I had done some research and found out that the tourist attractions are only a few stops away from the train station.

After a breakfast at the MacDonald's, I began my self-guided, half-day tour of the city of Sofia. There were hardly any other tourists around the whole time I was there. The city is walkable and there are helpful signs for tourists that point to major points of attraction along the sidewalks.

Nevertheless, I spotted some impressive architectures.

There is a sprawling underground passage comprising of shops, archaeology and even connected to the metro station.



After exploring the city, I took the metro to the airport, just a short ride away.


Unfortunately, my wizzair flight departs from the other terminal, so I need to take the free inter-terminal bus.


My second time flying on wizzair !


Sofia is an interesting city to visit. And the archaeological displays are very intriguing. Hardly any tourists around, at least in december. Being the only Asian tourist around, as far as I can tell, I felt safe at all times in the city, even with very few passers-by on the streets. Even in the train station, where security guards are in plain sight in the early morning hours.

With that, I'm flying off on wizzair to my next, night adventure in Bratislava, Slovakia 😀