Wednesday 26 February 2020

Inaugural flights from Singapore, 2020

There are quite a number of new air links to and from Singapore in 2020. Starting in April, Emirates will begin a fifth freedom flight between Singapore and Penang, Malaysia on its B777-300ER aircraft. It has been years since I travelled on Emirates as their air fares are usually not as cheap as other carriers from Singapore.

I have since booked myself a seat on the inaugural same-day return flight. Fares are quite affordable for the full service carrier on this short haul route. Multiple budget carriers such as AirAsia, Jetstar and Scoot fly this route so prices are kept low. Silkair flies direct as well though at a higher price margin. 

At this point, I'm still not sure whether I'm able to travel since it is on a weekday and it may coincide with my work commitments. Hopefully, I get to travel 😀. In the worst case scenario, I will forgo this flight.

In October, Singapore Airline (SQ) will be launching a new flight from Singapore to Brussels on its A350 aircraft.

On the same day in October, Aeroflot is opening a new air link from Moscow to Singapore on its A350 aircraft.

Although I do hope to try out these two new links, it is just not possible to try both inaugural routes as the dates coincide exactly on a Sunday. Seems like I can only fly on one or the other. Both flights costs in the range of ~$500 with similar flying hours, which added to my dilemma. 

Finally, after days of careful consideration, I have decided to book myself on the SQ inaugural flight. My ticket is based on a two sector routing from Bangkok to Singapore and then onward to Brussels. This turns out to be way cheaper than the direct Singapore to Brussels ticket. I have yet to book the return since it's still months to this flight. Again, I'm not certain whether I'm able to take this flight as the next day is a Monday, a working day. So we shall see.

Recently, I learnt that Jetstar will be launching a new route from Singapore to Colombo, Sri Lanka, starting July 2020. One way fare is very cheap, starting at only S$80 on the first day, and at $60 on some other days. Yup, so I have booked this one-way flight and hoping that I will be able to travel. I have yet to book the return since I haven't thought of my travel plan for this Colombo trip. I will probably stay one night in Colombo before returning the next day. It's still early days so I will give it some time.

To summarise, I'm now looking forward to hopefully flying on these 3 inaugural routes this year:

1) Emirates Airlines Singapore to Penang (and return)
2) Singapore Airlines Singapore to Brussels
3) Jetstar Singapore to Colombo

Here's to hoping more new air links to Singapore !