Wednesday 15 November 2017

Fly-cruise Singapore to Hong Kong

I just returned from a fly cruise tour from Singapore to Hong Kong. I flew to Hong Kong on Scoot airlines and boarded the Genting Dream cruise from Hong Kong to Singapore non-stop.

I will detail my thoughts on the cruise in the subsequent posts. Now I want to document some pre-cruise details.

My Scoot flight to Hong Kong was uneventful. Initially, I booked the overnight flight to Hong Kong to save on the one night hotel stay. But alas Scoot cancelled the flight so in the end I had to take another flight one day earlier and stay one night in Hong Kong.

Scoot flies mainly A320s and sometimes the dreamliner to Hong Kong when there is demand. Due to my work schedule and Scoot flight choices, I could only select the A320 flight.

The A320 planes were originally from Tigerair. Since then, they had merged to become Scoot. The exterior was painted in Scoot livery but the tail of the aircraft remain in Tigerair livery for now. The A320 plane feature all economy class seats and has a tight seating arrangement. For a budget airline operating short sectors, this is  acceptable.

After reaching Hong Kong, I took the A11 citybus to reach Causeway Bay. Some things to note:
- the bus operates at 30 minute intervals from the bus terminal adjacent to the airport.
- costs hkd$40 each regardless of distance.
- Can be paid with the octopus card or exact cash.
- There is discount for senior citizens.
- It is a double decker bus with sufficient luggage space.
- The advantage is direct bus to causeway bay. If taking the train, need to change a few times. Also, Hong Kong metro stations do not always come with escalators or lifts, so need to lift heavy luggage on the stairs.
- The bus route information can be found online. In the bus, there is a tv screen displaying each stop in English. For tourists I guess.

I stayed overnight at the mini hotel causebay, an easy 8 minute walk away from the bus stop. The hotel lobby was in the basement and comes with a lift. Guests could enter the hotel with access card through a door on ground level. The room size was very small and bathroom was separated with a transparent window. Bottled water was provided. That's it. A 3-minute walk to the mega shopping mall Times Square. Definitely overpriced.

Alright, in the next post, I shall detail how to get to Kai Tak cruise pier with luggage on public transport.