Wednesday 8 November 2017

Virgin Australia will not honor the business class mistake fare '17

About a week ago, I posted on how I manage to snag business class mistake fare on Virgin Australia. Sadly, a couple of days ago, I receive a message on my mobile phone and an email saying that they will not honor the business class fare.

Two options are then laid out for me:
1) downgrade to economy class at the same fare. This option may not be worth the $ because a check on the same dates indicates that economy class fares is only slightly more than ~S$1000, as compared to the ~S$1300 that I have paid. 

On another thought, they did not indicate whether the tickets will be full fare or discounted fare. This will affect the number of miles that can be earned. Anyway, I'm not keen with this option.

2) full refund back to my credit card. Yup. I went ahead with this option. Take back my $ and wait out for another mistake fare :) This option requires calling their helpdesk, I believe in Australia or NZ. Surprisingly, they picked up the call within seconds. Not even requiring an automated system. The lady politely assisted to refund my $ within 3-5 business days. So now I'm hoping for my $ to come back to me. Haha!

One thing that I have learnt is that never book any other side trips around the mistake fare. Because we never know whether the airline will honor it.