Sunday 18 March 2018

Cathay Pacific business class lounge @ New Delhi and Hong Kong

After a short one week break and a couple of days flying to China, it is now back to my work routine. I need to earn for my next trip. Haha!

My next overseas adventure will be in June. Thus far, I have made several flight and hotel bookings in Europe and SQ 787-10 business class return flight to Osaka. These are booked far in advance to take advantage of the early bird discounts. My travel plans are yet cast in stone as I'm constantly looking out for flight and hotel deals suitable for me. 

My current travel plans are shaped mainly by the deals that I found, rather than my desires. This will be the way going forward, so that I can reduce my travel budget. Hopefully, I'm able to find deals that can lead me to explore countries in Eastern Europe, Africa and South America.

After checking in for my Cathay Pacific business class flight in Delhi, I was invited to the Plaza Premium lounge. A perk of travelling in business class!

The lounge is on the small side and is crowded when I visited. I was informed by the receptionist that the showers were under renovation and thus not available.

Food and drinks variety were limited. Free wifi access were available from the reception. The Indian beer, kingfisher, could be ordered from the bar tender, who gave me a bottle.



As the lounge was quite a walking distance away from the gate, I left early and walked leisurely to the gate in time for boarding.

The Plaza Premium lounge in Delhi is nowhere fantastic, in my opinion. And I certainly won't use my free lounge passes to access it.

In Hong Kong, Cathay Pacific business class passengers are in for a treat. There are a grand total of 4 lounges spread out in the airport. The Pier, The Wing, The bridge and the cabin.

The Pier is the newest lounge in the airport. As I have limited layover time at the airport, I visited the Pier, which at first was quite far from the initial boarding gate, and requires me to take the airport shuttle train.

Turns out, there was a gate change for my onward flight. The boarding gate was changed to nearby the lounge. This allowed me to spend more time in the lounge!

The lounge was located one floor down

My first order of business in the lounge was to take a shower.

Shower room is luxurious and filled with amenities



After a great shower, I went to explore the lounge. There are tons of seating in the long, narrow lounge. It was never filled up all the time I was there, on a weekday late morning. 

However, I find that the food options tend to be limited for a big lounge like this. There is a manned food station for noodles and dim sum, another station for pastries, and a bar. Other drinks and beers are available in the fridge.

The windows in the lounge offer great views of planes landing and parking. Including this Cathay Pacific A350 plane.

The long, narrow corridors in the lounge


The Pier is a large and sparsely populated lounge. Definitely worth a visit. I just wish they could serve more varieties of food in the lounge!