Sunday 4 March 2018

San Diego City & St James Historic Hotel

After arriving at San Diego airport on Virgin American airlines, I left the small, modern airport quickly to find the public bus that will take me to my hotel, St James historic hotel in downtown. One quirky aspect on this bus is that I have to tug at a string running alongside the window of the bus to activate the bus stopping bell!

I booked a night at St James historic hotel as it offers a reasonable rate for the date I'm staying. In addition, I thought the name 'historic' means that the hotel has a long history so maybe has some aspects worth checking out. Turns out it was a great decision.

Though the exterior doesn't look inviting, the hotel receptionists cannot be friendlier and the bellman opens and closes the door for every guest walking past the door. I hardly encounter this service in any other hotel nowadays.

The standard room is large. The bed is comfortable. The toilet door is uniquely 'historic'. The sink is located outside the toilet. All essential toiletries are provided. 


My hotel stay does not come with breakfast, but the nearby subway with its affordable sandwiches makes up for it. Other than subway, the rest of eateries near the hotel are high class restaurants.

On the first morning that I arrived, the receptionist kindly allowed me to check in early. Leaving my bags in my room, I quickly left the hotel to explore the city. The San Diego hop-off-hop-on bus stop is located within walking distance of the hotel.

My first stop is the San Diego Zoo, a famous attraction judging by the number of visitors.  The star attraction is the two giant pandas!

Spotted this free ride vehicle. If I ever visit San Diego again, I would like to try it out.

San Diego traditional hop-off-hop-on bus. I like it ! The bus driver doubled up as the tour guide, providing entertaining commentary.

Passed by a small Japanese garden


Finally reached the San Diego Zoo ! After a long walk from the bus stop.


The star attraction was busy feeding on bamboo !




Didn't know that such architecture exist in the United States. Reminds me more of Europe.


After the Zoo, I continued on the tourist bus to its terminus, the San Diego Old Town Market. Basically shops selling souvenirs.

On the second day in San Diego, after checking out of the great hotel, took a uberpool ride and depositing my bag at the train station for a fee, I left to wander along the waterfront. 

I passed by the USS Midway Museum, converted from a warship, so decided to check it out.

The many retired military planes on display on the ship are worth exploring.


X'mas decor inside the USS Midway

At the waterfront is the Star of India

I ended my day in San Diego with a two hour cruise.

Due to early sunset hours in winter, this cruise became a sunset cruise with fascinating views of the curved bridge and the sunset in the distance.

San Diego, though not a popular tourist destination compared to nearby San Francisco, has some attractions definitely worth visiting, such as the Zoo and the USS Midway museum. 

Also, the St James Historic Hotel is worth staying for its convenient location in the city and its old-fashioned lift ! 

All in all, I enjoyed myself in San Diego !