Thursday 14 March 2019

A night tour of Bergamo, Italy

From Nis, Serbia, I took a Ryanair flight to Milan and landed at Bergamo airport. As I have previously visited Milan on this trip itself, I decided to visit the city of Bergamo instead. Turns out, this less-visited city has a lot to offer visitors too!

At the airport arrival area, I bought a day pass from the ticket office for unlimited rides in Bergamo.

At the airport bus stop, I boarded Bus 1, which travels past the rail station, towards the lower city of Città Bassa and the upper city of Città Alta 

I headed straight towards the upper city, which not only provides a scenic view of the city of Bergamo, but interesting architecture from the past.

Christmas light-up along the cobblestone streets




I bought an affordable pass to ride the funicular connecting the upper and lower city and offering scenic views from the top. I took it several times on this route,  until the funicular operator sort of recognized me and waved me through the gate without needing to check my ticket for my subsequent rides. Haha!


Stopped by a cafe to try the polenta, a delicious Italian snack.

There is actually another funicular connecting other parts of the town from Città Alta , but unfortunately there isn't time for me to explore that route.

The bus from Città Alta back to the rail station and the airport ends early at night. The good thing is the bus timings are displayed at every stop, so I managed to catch the last bus back to the city and then to the airport.

An interesting night tour of the small Italian city of Bergamo!