Friday 22 March 2019

Asiana Airlines A330, A350 and B777 business class review

After spending two great days in Almaty, Kazakhstan, it is time to move on to the next segment of my trip. I will be taking Asiana Airlines business class from Almaty, transiting through Seoul, South Korea and across the pacific ocean to New York City in the United States. This is the main reason why I visited Kazakhstan in the first place.

Other than taking Asiana Airlines for the first time, I got the opportunity to try out their business class on the A330 regional business class seat from Almaty to Seoul, A350 long haul business class seat from Seoul to New York City, and B777 from Chicago to Seoul.

I reached Almaty airport way ahead of departure time, but ended up waiting for some time as the incoming flight was delayed by several hours due to heavy snow in Almaty. This delay ultimately caused me to miss my connecting flight on the same airline to New York City. More on that later.

Traveling in business class has the advantage of visiting the lounge prior to the flight. There are two lounges in Almaty airport, one for Air Astana passengers and the other for all other airlines. The lounge in Almaty is very underwhelming, in my opinion, with limited snacks and not much in terms of amenities. Seating is very limited as well.

This picture more or less sums up the main food and beverage offerings in the lounge.

Upon boarding, every business class seat has a small pillow and blanket.

Business class on the Asiana Airline A330 aircraft is in a 2-2-2 configuration. Very similar to SQ A330 aircraft.

Pre-departure drink

A window seat for me. On this flight, under 10 out of 30 business class seats are taken. So I have the neighbouring seat to myself as well.

Almaty to Seoul is a short, overnight flight. Once the plane is airborne, lights are switched off. I ordered the ramen since I hadn't eaten much in the lounge earlier. It was good and filling.

Soon, lights are turned on and breakfast is served. I had the delicious abalone porridge.

Flying across Asia towards South Korea

Arriving at Incheon airport

For a short, 5 hour flight, the business class 2-2-2 regional seating configuration is sufficiently comfortable. Just like SQ A330, the seat does not become totally flat and window seat passengers do not have direct aisle access.

Saw this Asiana Airlines A380 aircraft. It previously flew from Seoul to New York City but the route was since flown by the A350 aircraft.

After deplaning, I first went to the Asiana Airlines transit desk, conveniently located on the second floor close to its lounge. After confirming that I had indeed missed my connecting flight, I had to take the next day's flight. Asiana Airlines only operates a once daily flight from Seoul to New York City and I wan't able to travel on other other airlines. With that, I was granted access to the lounge for the day and the next. 

Initially, my boarding pass wasn't able to access the lounge automated gate as the lounge is only accessible for passengers for that day. So the transit desk staff had to come over and liaise with the lounge staff. As he came over, I was given four food vouchers each with a fixed value, that could be used in any eatery within the airport.

The Asiana Airline lounge in Incheon airport is very impressive. It is very big with sufficient seating for many people. There is a buffet table towards the end of the lounge. Toilets and shower rooms are near the entrance and kept clean at all times.


I had wanted to try the Asiana crafted beer but unfortunately missed the time. It was only served within a certain time of the day.

The lounge had different kinds of seating, open and private. The open seats faced the tarmac and view of the airplanes. The private seat, meanwhile, had no view at all. 

I manage to get one of the limited numbers of private seat. The private seat felt more like a lounge chair, was so comfortable, equipped with power sockets and had sufficient personal space, that I ended up spending the day in the lounge to make changes to my subsequent itinerary caused by this one-day delay.

Surprisingly, for a lounge this size, the food is limited in variety. This is basically all that is offered. At all times of the day.

Incheon airport offers free day tours of Seoul for connecting passengers. However, as I had already intended to visit Seoul later on in my trip, I did not join the tours.

The next morning, after spending some quality time in the same lounge, I was ready to take my next Asiana Airlines A350 flight.

Business class on the A350 aircraft is configured on a 1-2-1 seating arrangement.

The seat is convertible to a flat bed during the flight.

Amenity kit containing the essentials such as comb, toothbrush, toothpaste, etc.

Pre-departure drink in the comfortable seat




Opted for a delicious Korean meal

IFE tv and handset


I purchased an open-jaw ticket with Asiana Airlines. Flying into New York City and departing from Chicago in the United States. This gave me a chance to visit Chicago, try out the B777 aircraft as well and not having to New York City again (Not that I mind😀)

In Chicago airport, Asiana Airlines business class passengers access the SAS lounge before the flight. This lounge, though well-designed in Scandinavian style, is very small in size and with limited seating. There is no washroom or shower amenity within the lounge.

The food and beverage offering is underwhelming. Only snacks are available at this late night hour. Not sure if there are more food options in the daytime. 

Due to long queues at immigration in the airport, I didn't get to spend too much time in this lounge. Soon, it's time to board my flight to Seoul!

The B777 aircraft business class set-up is in 1-2-1 arrangement, similar to its A350 aircraft.


A delicious meal of Bibimbap. I usually choose the local cuisine of the airline rather than the Western option on a flight.

A long trek across the vast pacific ocean


A porridge breakfast before deplaning

That's all for my Asiana Airlines flights. Great hard product on the long haul A350 and B777 aircraft. Average hard product on the A330 aircraft. Service by the cabin crew is excellent, comparable to SQ. Catering of Korean dishes and the icewine is excellent on all flights.