Thursday 28 March 2019

Tour of Ireland

This is my first time visiting Ireland, and I planned my tour to include touring the three main tourist attractions in the country: the Cliff of Moher, Ring of Kerry and the Giant's Causeway. I also used the opportunity to visit the cities of Dublin, the capital and Belfast, in Northern Ireland.

While in Ireland, I used coaches to get around the country. Though not exactly cheap, they are still the most affordable transport option over there. And they are able to get me to the places that I want to visit. 

In this trip, despite my flight disruptions, I managed to visit all three places, but not without giving up visiting Morocco. Still, I thought it was well worth it.

I wanted to begin my tour in Shannon, a city close to the Cliff of Moher. To get around Ireland, I depended on the network of coaches. I checked out their schedules online and created my itinerary prior to my trip.

From Shannon airport, there is a bus transfer required in this small Irish town. So I wandered around the town in the early morning hours.




The reliable Irish coaches that I used to get around. The bus fare is not cheap.

The Cliff of Moher, by the Atlantic Ocean




After the cliff, my second stop is the Ring of Kerry. This involves staying two nights in the small Irish town of Killarney. For both nights, I stayed at the black sheep hostel which I shall review in my next post. The receptionist is able to arrange for my next day's group tour to the Ring of Kerry.


Since there is no viable public transport option on this road, I joined a tour group to visit the Ring of Kerry


The tour group stopped by this restaurant for lunch. The food is alright but the window seat offers a clear view of the sea across the road.


Ladies View, Kerry

After touring the Ring of Kerry, I wanted to visit the Giant's Causeway. On the way, I visited the capital, Dublin.

The Guinness Storehouse, a tourist attraction in Dublin




After that, I wandered around the capital city, taking in the night scenery. I walked by temple bar, with its lively nightlife.



After visiting Dublin, I took a public bus to Dublin airport where I stayed for the night. In the airport landside area, there are many people throughout the night so its relatively safe. Also, the comfortable couches make for a very pleasant stay.

Next morning, I took the earliest coach from the airport direct to Belfast city, the trip taking ~1 hour. In Belfast city, it is another train and a bus ride before I arrived at the Giant's Causeway.

There are hardly any tourists around in the early morning, making for a pleasant visit. There is a museum with paid entrance fees, but it is possible to visit just the Giant's Causeway, which is free. The road downhill can become very windy since it is facing the open sea. I attempted to stroll down the well paved road but it became increasingly difficult with the windy condition. So I took the bus when it comes along. The ride took about a minute and cost 1eur each way.

Despite the windy conditions, it was well worth the effort to get there. The view was simply incredible!


After visiting the Giant's Causeway, I took the public bus back to Belfast city. Since there is some time before my flight out of Ireland, based on prior online research, I decided to take a scenic train ride between Coleraine and Londonderry. Certainly worth the time!

Interesting bridge structure on approaching Londonderry station

Back in Belfast city, I visited the impressive Titanic museum located within the city. It looked really cool from the outside. 😀 As it was near closing time and the museum entrance ticket was quite expensive, I merely wandered around the lobby area with a souvenir shop.

This wraps up my fascinating visit to Ireland. The Cliff of Moher, Ring of Kerry and the Giant's Causeway are definitely the must-visit tourist attractions. The cities of Dublin and Belfast are worth exploring too!