Friday 24 April 2020

Istanbul New Airport Turkish Airlines Star Alliance Gold lounge

Well, it looks like this mid year I definitely won't be travelling long haul, if at all.

With Singapore moving its annual mid year school holidays to May, a first for me, due to the global pandemic and the stay home advisory to extend at least and hopefully until June, I will have to spend the mid year holidays indoors, instead of travelling around the world.

Fortunately, I haven't made any travel-related expenses this year, apart for my SQ long haul air tickets which I purchased last year. Hopefully, I can get a cash refund instead of travel credits.

One silver lining out of this. Less $ spent on my travels means more $ for my savings and maybe my year-end travel !

Nowadays, I spent my time indoors looking for year end cheap airfares to long haul  places, such as Europe, Africa and South America. With demand really low at the moment, hopefully prices can be reduced as well. There have been some great prices from Asia and Australia to South America which I posted recently. But I'm still hoping for even lower prices.

I have also kind of planned out my future travels, this year and beyond, limiting to just 3 long haul trips for now. Europe, Africa and South America.

Here's to hoping the situation will improve, international borders will open and travel will once again soar!😀

Continuing from my previous post, after landing at the Istanbul new airport, passport control was surprisingly queue-less, despite Istanbul being a global hub.

I could have transited within the airside for my next Turkish Airlines flight. But I had checked in my bag on my Oman Air flight, so had to go through passport control and check in again.

Istanbul airport is the hub for Turkish Airlines. At departure level, their check-in counters span across many rows. Not only that, they even have a dedicated row for Star Alliance Gold members taking Turkish Airlines flights in economy class. 

Contrast that to Changi Airport, where Singapore Airlines just have a few check-in counters for its Star Alliance Gold members.


This area is also cordoned off from the rest of the terminal, giving it a more private and high-end feel. Apart from the usual check-in counters, there are some seats and a sofa on the other side as well. Very impressive !


Though I have quite some time for my layover, I decided against exploring the city. I have already toured Istanbul some years  back, thanks to the free Turkish Airlines transit tour.

I'm more keen to check out the Turkish Airlines Star Alliance Gold lounge. With the opening of this new airport, the lounges are of course new as well. Turkish Airlines has decided to have separate lounges for its Gold members and its Business Class members.

Since I was traveling in economy class on this flight, I could only check out its Gold lounge.


The Turkish Airlines Star Alliance Gold lounge is located on the second level airside. Before taking the escalator up, there is a receptionist at the first level checking the boarding pass.

First impression. It's big. Previously it was two levels. Now, its just one level. But still big.


There are plenty of seats and a big crowd as well.


While in Turkey, I should try the Turkish coffee.


They brought over the toy racetrack from the old lounge.


The open-air lounge faces the interior of the terminal.


I managed to find an empty cushioned seat with more privacy.


After a good cup of Turkish coffee, I wanted to get a proper shower after taking many flights.

At first, I thought the lounge did not offer shower amenity as it was not indicated anywhere nor was there any direction sign in the lounge. This would be a big downgrade from its previous lounge. Upon asking the receptionist on the second level, I was directed and led to the well-appointed shower rooms.


It even comes with bathrobes!


After a refreshing shower, it's time to enjoy the good food. Instead of long rows of self-serve buffets, this lounge has many cook-to-order food stations, mostly featuring Turkish cuisine.






It was all high quality restaurant food, but I do wish they offer self-serve food with Western and Asian cuisine as well.


After spending some time in the lounge, it gets more and more crowded until there's hardly any vacant seat. So I left the lounge to the gate area. On the way, I spotted the conducive sleep zones nicely set up. Not too crowded too.

Soon after, I boarded my short, red-eye Turkish Airline flight bound for Tbilisi, Georgia for my Caucasus region tour. It is flown by a A321 aircraft. As with many other Turkish Airline narrowbody aircraft, the economy class seats come with IFE and big screens as well.


A delicious breakfast on my flight !

It has been a pleasant experience for me in Istanbul, from the Turkish Airlines dedicated check-in area for Star Alliance Gold members, its lounge and flight, even in economy class. 

I landed in Tbilisi in the early morning, ready for my Georgia and Armenia tour !