Saturday 2 May 2020

My adventures in the Caucasus region !

The caucasus region is situated between the Black sea and the Caspian Sea. It includes countries such as Georgia and Armenia, which I will be visiting on this trip.

After landing in Tbilisi, Georgia in the early morning, I waited for the public bus from the airport to the main railway station. The bus pickup is situated at the very front end of the terminal building, and is a cheap way of getting into Tbilisi city.

I had planned my first day itinerary to be a day trip by rail to Batumi, a coastal city in Georgia. Train tickets can be purchased online.

At the railway station, I located the manned luggage storage office, at a small, separate white building beside the railway platform. I deposited my luggage there for the day. The office is open from the early morning till around 11pm. Fees are reasonable.

Then it's time to hop on the modern, double-decker train. Most seats are taken on the Tbilisi-Batumi route, taking around 5 hours each way.

This is Batumi railway station.

Directly opposite the railway station is the Black sea

Huge waves on the Black sea, with the city of Batumi ahead

The railway station is unfortunately located far from the city centre. Though it is visible, it is actually a long walk. So, taking a bus is necessary.

There is an unsheltered bus stop, not really well signposted, opposite the railway station. Now, there is hardly any reliable information online regarding the bus number that goes into the city. There is no information too at the bus stop. So, after taking pictures of the Black sea, I just boarded the first bus, I think it's bus 8, that comes along. Good thing is, it is heading into the city.


The bus stops just in front of the cable car station, so I decided to ride it up and down. There is no queue and actually no other customers coming for the ride.

In the cable car



The building at the hilltop cable car station. There is a souvenir shop and a restaurant at the first level. Not sure what's higher up.

A small church beside the cable car building

Coming down via cable car, I went in search of my lunch.

Wandering around Batumi old town by foot

Soon, it was time to head back to the railway station again by the same bus number on the opposite side. This time, the bus drops off outside the railway station, much more convenient in the rain.


My train ride back to Tbilisi

The splendid view from my Airbnb accommodation in Tbilisi

On the second day, as I checked out early from my accommodation, I deposited my luggage again at the same office at the railway station. It is a day trip within Tbilisi itself. 

For getting around Tbilisi, there is the metro available. The deep underground escalators remind me of Russia! There is uber as well.








A cool looking bridge !

There is a cable car in Tbilisi as well. An impressive view from the hilltop

An ancient fortress 

View of the old town of Tbilisi from the hilltop

As the sky turns dark, I made my back to the city centre for dinner at a shopping mall food court. Then it's a short metro ride to the railway station for my overnight train ride to Armenia.

The railway station is part of a shopping mall and a department store. The waiting area consists of limited seats. The ticket counters are located at the same level as well. One level up, there is a food court with more seats as well. A door leads out to the train platform and the luggage storage office.

As I will be returning to Tbilisi from Armenia, I decided to leave my luggage overnight in the manned office, given the reasonable fees and left a note with the office personnel.

In my next post, I shall detail this train trip and my adventures in Armenia !😀