Tuesday 19 June 2018

Overnighting at Oslo Gardermoen Airport

Here I am in the Lufthansa business class lounge at Frankfurt airport, after a refreshing shower, enjoying the food, the comfortable sofa seating with leg rest and the views over the tarmac.

This lounge fortunately opens at 5:00am in the morning, in time for me as I woke up ~10 minutes later. I overnighted at the airport departure area, right across the entrance to the lounge.

I can't believe that I actually slept soundly for ~ 7 hours. At the airport. I must have been really tired. I woke up only after feeling my phone alarm vibration. Haha!

Being Lufthansa's home airport lounge, there are plenty of comfortable seating, clean showers, though hot food is limited. 

I have used this lounge several times now, as this is the second time I'm flying with SQ from Singapore, via Frankfurt, to New York City. 

Previously, I took SQ26, an A380 overnight flight from Singapore, with only 1.5 hours transit in Frankfurt, in both directions, before leaving for New York. So there is only time for me to take a shower in the lounge.

This time round, I took the SQ326 daytime flight from Singapore, arriving at Frankfurt at night, before continuing with SQ26 the next morning to New York. This gives me more time to enjoy the lounge proper.

This lounge has perfect tarmac views. I even saw the SQ A380 flight taxiing on the runway and subsequently on the taxiway to the gate area. What a magnificent aircraft !

At this moment, I saw a thai airways B77W aircraft being towed from the gate to the parking bay for its return flight later in the day.

When I first started accessing the airport lounge, I used to fill myself up with the buffet food. Ends up, I can't finish the airplane food. So now, I don't fill up at the buffet anymore. Like now, I only have the scrambled eggs (the only hot dish on offer right now), fruits, a piece of cheese bread (offered by a staff walking around) and drinks. So now I leave space for the SQ business class cuisine, which is always a delight!

Anyway, in this post, I wanted to briefly review my overnight experience in Oslo airport landside. I arrived at Oslo with Ryanair and was scheduled to depart with SAS the next day. As I didn't check in online, I had to go through immigration to landside and check in again the next day. On hindsight, I should have check in online and simply stay at airside. 

Anyway, at the Oslo arrivals level, there is a pizza restaurant with long sofa seating. At night, after the restaurant closes, the seating area remains accessible. When I reach the area, fortunately there is a sofa available. Making it a comfortable night for sleeping. Oslo airport is quiet in the middle of the night, on the arrivals level, and feels safe. So definitely I will not hesitate to overnight there again if the need arises.