Wednesday 6 June 2018

Singapore Airlines B787-10 business class review

After overnighting at the pleasant Oslo airport, I checked in early and am now waiting for my SAS flight to Longyearbyen. After the centralized security screening, there are many comfortable airside seating places for plane spotting, so I decided to savour my review of my Singapore Airlines B787-10 business class flight review from Osaka to Singapore.

The Singapore Airlines B787-10 features the latest regional business class seats in a 1-2-1 fully flat seating configuration. The previous generation of seats on the A330 is in a 2-2-2 seating with almost flat seating, so this is a definite product upgrade.

Indeed, after trying out the seats, I felt that it can even be used for long haul flights too!


Advertising the latest Singapore Airlines B787-10 aircraft economy and business class

After checking in at the counter, where the very pleasant lady wished me a happy birthday, I was presented with a lounge pass and invited to use the JAL sakura lounge.

I was even surprised to see 'Happy Birthday' printed on my boarding pass! And the lady even drew some birthday wishes on my boarding pass ! 😀

JAL Sakura lounge. Close to the SQ flight gate. Once again, after presenting my lounge pass and boarding pass to the lounge receptionist, I was wished a happy birthday and invited inside.

When in Japan, the must eats include beef curry and miso soup. They were very flavourful.

The lounge is on the small side. At one point, there seemed to be insufficient seating places. Soon, people cleared and there are empty seats available. While the lounge was kept clean at all times, there seemed to be a limited variety of food and the lack of shower facilities. 

 Soon it was time to board the SQ flight. The business class on that day appears full. SQ seems to be doing well on this route.
This is an exact copy of the menu taken from the flight report website. On the Osaka-Singapore sector, SQ does not provide book the cook for its premium passengers. So all had to book from the in flight menu after take-off. Of all the choices, the most popular is the Japanese meal titled Hanakoireki.

I was seated in row 15, by the time the flight attendant reached me, she had to check whether there is still availability. The first time she came back with the news that they had the main course, but the appetizer was out. Fortunately, she came back a second time with good news. The appetizer was present ! Not sure if it is due to my birthday though. Haha !


The business seats is in a forward facing, staggered position, with alternate rows closer and further from the window. Row 15 is closer to the window and further from the aisle, hence giving more privacy.  

Now we can sleep in a forward facing direction, compared to the long haul version where people had to sleep at a an angle.

The tv screen, as usual, is almost as big as the one I have at home!

Champagne as a welcome drink

For all the window seats, I'm not sure why they designed such that the privacy cover needs to cover more than half of the window.

SQ branded headphones are provided. Not really bose quality.

SQ 787-10 wings

Tray table is pulled out from under the tv screen and can be folded to give double the tray space.


Meal service started with the ever delicious satay. Next time I must try the ones on Malaysia Airlines. Haha ! As per the norm, the satay is served without the table cloth.

Handset

The Singapore Sling. Only available on Singapore Airlines.

Hanakoireki appetizer. Beautifully presented!

Hanakoireki main course. Even more beautifully presented. It comes with miso soup.


Meal service started only about midway in the flight. Upon conclusion of the meal service and after being given a bottle of water, 2 flight attendants came out and wished me happy birthday ! On the tray was a chocolate cake, with deco (to give the smoke effect) and a hand-drawn birthday card.

I asked for a picture with the Singapore Girl on this special occasion !


My thoughts on this flight? The best flight of my life. There is no question why Singapore Airlines is rated a 5-star airline. It provides an excellent hard product with sincere in-flight service, rarely matched with any other airline.

I booked this flight as a Osaka-Singapore return. Now I'm eagerly looking forward to the Singapore-Osaka sector on the B787-10 wonderful business class again, as well as the Ahmedabad-Singapore sector on the A330 business class and the A380 and B77w long haul return Singapore-Frankfurt-New York.