Friday 7 September 2018

My first ever round-the-world trip 2018

I have successfully completed my first ever round-the-world-trip, in an easterly direction, in 4 days. Stopping over in Australia, Fiji, United States and Germany.

This itinerary was originally planned for one more day. Unfortunately, on the day I was supposed to travel, I received a text message from Fiji Airways that my flight departing that night was cancelled. I had to call their reservations office to make alternative flight options. The number wasn't included in the text, so I had to find out their Fiji office number online.

I feel that Fiji Airways should lay out the options on their website so that customers can select flight options online, instead of having to call their overseas office and incurring overseas phone charges.

Also, they could have informed customers about the cancellation earlier, especially on a long haul segment. 

This reminds me of Jetstar Airways, a budget carrier, when I was offered alternative flight options from Okinawa to Singapore.

Anyway, on my second try, I was connected to an airline representative and offered an alternative routing to get from Singapore to Los Angeles fast. Now, Fiji Airways only operates twice weekly flights to Singapore from their hub. This particular routing will have me departing one day later. Taking Qantas codeshare from Singapore to Sydney, then Fiji Airways from Sydney via Nadi to Los Angeles.

I was both excited and disappointed by this turn of events. Excited because I could try out Qantas flight on their A330 aircraft and also visit Sydney with a 6 hour stopover.

However, as I was due to now depart Singapore one day later, it also means that I will only reach Los Angeles one day later as well.

I had earlier booked my United States domestic flight to get from Los Angeles to New York City, where my SQ flight will leave and return to Singapore.

With this new flight option, it means that:
1) I only had a 2 hour stopover in Fiji, and I couldn't visit Fiji on this trip.
2) I couldn't visit Orlando walt disney world.
3) I had to give up my American airlines red-eye flight from Los Angeles to Orlando without refund.
4) I had to book a new red-eye flight on Delta Airlines to get myself from Los Angeles to Orlando. And this flight is costly due to my last minute booking.

Yup, so it seems that I had to leave Fiji and Orlando to another trip.

After travelling for 10 years, this is my first ever long haul flight that was cancelled. I can only remember in recent memory when my scoot airlines short haul flight from Singapore to Hong Kong was cancelled and I also had to call their office to make alternative arrangements. Luckily, Scoot is a Singapore airline so I needn't make overseas call, though I had to incur an additional cost of a one-night stay in Hong Kong as a result.

In my subsequent posts, I shall relive my memories of this round-the-world trip. But first, I will need to complete my June trip review.