Friday 28 September 2018

SQ krisflyer spontaneous escape offer

SQ is currently holding a regular krisflyer spontaneous escape offer, where there is a limited time offer to redeem a lower number of miles for certain flights to certain destinations.

The flights that were getting the most attention is the direct flights from Singapore to Newark and Los Angeles. For just 40,000 miles and 38,000 miles respectively, one could redeem a seat in the premium economy class on the world's longest flight, scheduled to begin in October for Newark and November for Los Angeles.



This is about 40%-50% off the usual number of miles required. For a couple of days, I was really in a dilemma.

Although I currently have the required miles in my account, I was actually saving them for another use(s).


Specifically, I wanted to redeem them for the Auckland-Singapore-Hong Kong suites class for 80,000 kf miles. I have taken the suites class once some years back and it is simply amazing! I can't wait to ride it again, especially as SQ has progressively rolled out its new suites class on certain flights. 


I have "sort of" experienced it once, when SQ held its roadshow (I think it's first ever?) of its new first class and the regional business class at Vivocity in Singapore. I got a chance to seat on the hard products for like, a couple of seconds. Haha!


Me and the Singapore Girl ! 

The impressive improvement is that the suites class now has a separate bed and seat. Not many airlines in the world has such a feature.

I do have another use in mind for my miles. This time, for the Lufthansa first class flight from Frankfurt to the Middle East, costing 60,000 kf miles. The flights are usually operated using an a330/a340 aircraft and the hard products pale in comparison to SQ suites class.

However, by taking a Lufthansa first class flight out of Frankfurt, I will be able to check out the Lufthansa First Class Terminal! Though it's similar to Singapore Changi's First Class Terminal, the Lufthansa version features it's own impressive lounge. Having read plenty of reviews on it, I am really keen to experience it once in my lifetime. Haha!

After doing some research online, I realized that the cheapest way, in terms of miles, to experience this, is to redeem a Lufthansa first class flight from Frankfurt to the Middle East, for 60,000 miles. It used to be cheaper, but I guess this is better than nothing.   

Yup, so with two competing uses of my miles, I have sadly decided to give the SQ Newark flights a miss. For now, at least.


This Newark offer is held in conjunction with another offer where return premium economy seats were sold for $1415 for the Newark flight and $1315 for the Los Angeles flight. The costs have since crept up by a hundred or so.

Again, I have sadly declined the offer, with reasons mentioned in the previous post. Some restrain is always good. Haha!
  

Anyway, back to the Krisflyer Spontaneous Escape offer, I have actually taken advantage of this offer this time. In October, I will be taking a short trip to Bangkok. And the best way to get there?


SQ 787-10 latest regional business class for 14000 miles one-way!

Yup, the offer is limited to certain destinations and only certain flight numbers on that route only. Fortunately, one of them being SQ787-10. I have previously taken it from Singapore to Osaka on a return trip and am very impressed with both the hard and soft product. I hope to try it again, albeit on a shorter 2 hour flight this time.