Friday 28 September 2018

Krisflyer Elite Gold Status or not?

In my previous post, I have declined to book the SQ Singapore to Newark flight in premium economy class at a fraction of the regular cost. With this decision, I will also be giving up the chance to achieve Krisflyer Elite Gold status. 

This year, I have taken the Amd-Sin-Fra-Jfk return trips in business class, giving me quite a number of elite miles. And I realize that if I were to book the Newark flight return trip, I will be able to qualify for the Star Alliance Gold Status.

I have achieved that status once before, also because of my travel on SQ business class from Singapore to New York City.

It is certainly useful to have star alliance gold status. Some benefits useful for me:
1) lounge access when travelling on any star alliance airlines
2) more checked baggage allowance
3) more miles per flight
4) priority boarding before other economy class passengers

Yup, the lounge access privilege is definitely enticing. However, I did take a step back and ponder on my future travel plans. Will I be always travelling on star alliance flights, even if they are not the cheapest available? 

In Europe, I rely heavily on budget airlines such as Ryanair to hop around the continent. For my year-end mega trip, I have already at least 4 flights booked with them. Usually, Ryanair offers the cheapest cost on routes that it flies to. Other budget carriers such as Easyjet and Norwegian do have offers from time to time but less enticing for me.

After this mega trip, I will have traveled to most of Europe and I intend to travel to South Africa and South America instead. So that will mean less reliance on budget airlines and more on premium carriers such as those in star alliance on the long haul segment.

At a dilemma again... 😁