Tuesday 17 March 2020

A visit to Geneva, Switzerland

I arrived in Geneva from my Kenya Airways B787 business class flight from Nairobi, Kenya. I had some hours to spend before my Ryanair flight to Athens, Greece.

Geneva is the headquarters of the UN. So what does the city have to offer to visitors? To attract visitors to visit the city, Geneva airport offers complimentary public transport ticket for arrival passengers, only for 80 minutes though after issuance of the ticket. There is a ticket machine at the arrivals area after baggage collection and just before exiting customs area. 

Meanwhile, to further encourage tourism, most accommodation offers a free public transport card for all visitors in this city.

I had a day in Geneva so decided to make use of the complimentary 80-minute ticket to get into the city. The airport train ride into the city lasts all of 6 minutes, easily one of the shortest in the world. It is rather compact and easy to get around on foot. The old town has some interesting architecture but in my opinion it is not as impressive as other cities such as Prague, Czech Republic.