Tuesday 17 March 2020

Tour of Greece

I visited Greece some years back and had a wonderful time. At that time, I toured Athens and the idyllic island of Santorini. 

For background information, Greece, in addition to the mainland, is made up of many islands that are worth visiting, including one with the Pythagoras statue.😀 Hopefully someday I get there!

So now I was back a second time. On the Greek mainland, other than Athens and its magnificent Acropolis, there are other cities worth visiting as well. And some of them are conveniently connected by long distance trains.

On this trip, I decided to visit Meteora and Thessaloniki.


The peaks of Meteora


From Athens airport, I took several trains with transfers to reach Kalambaka, the closest train station to Meteora. 

I spent the night at the Meteora Central Hostel which I shall review in a subsequent post.



As dawn breaks, I headed out within the small town to view the majestic peaks.

An overview of the town of Kalambaka


I didn't hike up the peaks to visit the monasteries, as this would have required a full day. 

By the time the sun rises, I was in the town's major thoroughfare for a coffee break.




Soon, I checked out of the hostel and made my way back to the train station. Not long after, I was on my way to Thessaloniki !

In Thessaloniki, Greece