Wednesday 18 March 2020

Visiting Jordan for the first time !

After a great day touring Meteora in Greece, My Ryanair flight from Greece reaches Amman, Jordan at night. Jordan is one country that I have been wanting to visit for years, since the Indiana Jones movie featuring the majestic Treasury of Petra.

Finally, in 2019, I chanced upon affordable air tickets that allowed me to visit the country. Prior to arriving in Jordan, I have purchased the Jordan Pass online, an essential for tourists into the country. The pass can be saved into the mobile phone and to be shown when necessary. It covers the visa cost and ticket fee for Petra. There are savings to be had compared to separate expenses.

At the arrivals area, just outside the terminal building, I bought the Amman airport bus ticket. This is the budget option of getting into the city. Not sure why, the bus was not operating at that time and a van turned up instead, after a few hours wait.

I arranged to alight at 7th circle. From there, it is a short walk across a wide, busy street to my airbnb accommodation.

Note that if one flies into Aqaba airport instead, from what I researched online, the tourist visa cost is waived when staying for a certain number of nights. However, there are no public transport options from that airport.
This is the reason why I want to visit Jordan


My second day in Jordan started with an uber ride to Amman Intercontinental hotel to wait for the day tour bus to Petra.


A big bus turned up and it gradually filled up.

About 4 hours later, I arrived at Petra entrance.

The Petra Museum


At the ticketing office, a detailed map is provided on the trail to take. Nevertheless, the trail is really one main path and all the crowd walks the same path, so not likely to be lost in this attraction.




Just before the reveal...
 
The main attraction where everyone came to Petra


The trail continues after the Treasury building



During the walk, there are drinks and souvenir shops abound. I did not have time to complete the entire trail, so have to turn around at some point. At least I managed to finally admire the Treasury building for myself!

Outside the Petra attraction, there is a unique cave bar.
 

The Cave bar sells food and drinks. But note that food is only available for order in the afternoon. So only drinks available for that.

And a mini supermarket with a cool title !


Yup, Petra is a big attraction in Jordan.
After a fulfilling tour in Petra, I headed back to the tour bus carpark to catch the bus back. The bus was again full on the return journey. Fortunately, I have reserved tickets as I was among the last to board the bus.

I had two full days in Petra, so in my next post, I shall detail my second day Jordanian adventures !😀