Friday 5 October 2018

World's longest flight vs World's shortest flight

The soon-to-be world's longest flight has caught my attention for days now, if not weeks. Specifically, I'm referring to SQ's new flight from Singapore direct to Newark, New York City.

I have reluctantly declined to travel on the world's longest flight, at least for this year, either on miles, or using cold hard cash, for reasons mentioned in my previous posts.

Recently, not sure whether this is ironic, but the world's shortest flight has caught my attention as well. I'm referring to Logan Air's flight from Westray to Papa Westray. This flight lasts for all of 2 minutes. And is now selling for 15 pounds.

This fare is quite attractive to me, compared to the world's longest flight. Haha! But there's a caveat. It is neither easy nor cheap, to position for this flight.

Westray is located in northern scotland. There are short regional flights operated by mainly Logan air to Westray, but the cost is exorbitant to me. 

So I looked for alternative means to reach Westray. There are ferries plying certain routes in northern scotland, namely Orkney and Northlink. I could use ferries to get from Aberdeen on the U.K. mainland to Lerwick to Kirkwall to Westray. These ferry ticket prices are reasonable as well.

These are long ferry routes but I figured they are worth it to get to Westray and Papa Westray. Yup, the only barrier now is mainly scheduling followed by ticket costs.

By now, I have more or less settled on my year-end itinerary, up to the week leading to Christmas. That's when I'm still keeping my schedule slightly open as I may or may not be able to spend a few more days in Europe before returning to Asia.

So, if I were to embark on this unique journey to northern scotland, it's going to happen within this short period of days. Now Logan air operates short regional flights within scotland all year around, just except during the Christmas days, where no flights were scheduled. This is a similar case with the ferries. As I would prefer not to spend Christmas in northern scotland, this means I need to wrap up this short but interesting trip within a tight schedule.

After some online research, I managed connect all the ferry and flight timings suitably for me. 

This is where my international flight positioning comes in. I'm due to fly from Istanbul, Turkey to Gothenburg, Sweden, landing in the morning. If I were to make this trip at all, then I need to board the ferry in Aberdeen, United Kingdom, in the same evening.

There is no direct flights between these two cities on that day, and connecting flight timings don't really work out for me at all.

This is when I decided to just check out a one-way flight from Istanbul to Aberdeen. That's where I chanced upon British Airways having a sale fare on this particular route,with a reasonable connection in London. As I have waited a couple of days, this fare has slowly crept up, to the point where I felt this fare is no longer worth it.

Right now, I'm still contemplating on this short trip. Between balancing my wanderlust and keeping my travel budget down.

If this trip don't work out for now, my alternate plan is to visit some cities in Germany, a country which I have only visited Cologne thus far.