Saturday 12 January 2019

Coach travel from KLIA to KL City and Singapore

There are various ways to get from Kuala Lumpur international airport (klia) to the city. An affordable way is to travel by coach.

Now, klia, used by most carriers, and klia2, used mainly by AirAsia as a hub, are not physically connected or near to each other. There are a few ways to travel between the two terminals by public transport. 

First, there is the klia express train, which travels between klia, klia2 and kl sentral. A paid ticket is needed to travel between klia and klia2 as well.

Otherwise, there is the complimentary shuttle bus that travels between klia, klia2 and long-term carpark. In klia2, it stops at the bus bay A10. This is how I travel from klia2 to klia, twice. On the first time, the bus stops for some time at the long term carpark stop before proceeding to klia. On the second time, I had to change to another bus at the long term carpark stop. Anyone can board the bus, whether you have a boarding pass or not.

The bus is never crowded and there are sufficient seats for everyone.

At klia, I followed signages to the coach terminal to board the bus towards kl sentral. The ticket can be bought from the counter. The platform number is written clearly, with the bus usually departing from platforms 1 or 2. It costs RM10 for a trip. Duration is about 45 minutes to an hour. At times, the bus may stop at klia2 to pick up passengers. There are no seat numbers, so it is free seating. The bus is a typical long distance coach, with comfortable seating and good recline.

Once in KL city, there are long distance coaches that operate to Singapore. I have tried two companies, Grassland and Starmart, both departing from their stops near Imbi monorail station, Berjaya times square. Both coaches are relatively comfortable. Grassland coach seat come with a blanket as well, distributed by the driver once on board.

Starmart's prices are usually cheaper, bookable either in person or using the easybook app at S$15 a trip. A lower price can be obtained using various discount codes.

In comparison, a one-way flight from Singapore to KL cost $52 at a minimum. While the other way cost $26, due to lower airport tax departing from KL.

Starmart's office is located under the escalator on the side of Berjaya times square, with many frequencies throughout the day. Grassland's office is located on the opposite side of Berjaya times square, with few frequencies only.

The trip between KL and Singapore, though scheduled for 6 hours, in reality, took about ~8 hours or longer, due to rest stops near Malacca, traffic jams within Malaysia and at the causeway. The coaches pass through second link connecting to Tuas in Singapore.

The coaches almost always offer direct services from KL Berjaya times square to Singapore, via a stop at TBS station within KL to pick up more passengers. Seat numbers are arranged, so every passenger is guaranteed a seat. 

Except for the most recent trip with Starmart, where I had a change of bus in JB, near the causeway. It was a seamless transfer however, as my first bus parked literally right behind the waiting second bus at a roadside. So it was just a few steps of walking. What's more surprising, both buses had the same numerals on their number plates, though with different letters, I think. 

Also, I think they combined two or more frequencies into one bus, as I had the same seat number as another passenger. End up, the manager at the TBS station announce free seating on the first bus. And I manage to get myself a bulkhead solo seat.

I was not told about the transfer by the ticket office. Rather, I overheard the driver and another passenger that the bus would terminate in JB only. I had to call the starmart office in Malaysia to confirm this. Thankfully, the number is printed on the coach ticket.

On the second bus, with a qistina company logo, there were less passengers connecting to Singapore. So there are some vacant seats around.

I departed on the 1430 coach. Actually, it left the Berjaya times square stop ~ 10 minutes early, as the passengers were already on board. I reached Singapore Golden miles complex, the usual stop for most Malaysia-bound coaches, close to 2300, on Dec 31st 2018.

The timing is great for me, as I later walked towards city hall to catch the New Year Day fireworks at Marina Bay Sands. I followed the crowd towards a viewing area at a traffic junction near the esplanade. 

From where I stood, I had a glimpse of the Star Island fireworks show at the floating platform as well. This show originates from Japan, Tokyo, Odaiba. It is their first time performing outside Japan.

Probably 2019 is a good time for me to re-visit Tokyo, to see the Odaiba fireworks !

I had been to Osaka in recent years, though the last time I visited Tokyo was in 2011, I think. Beyond Tokyo, I would like to visit Hiroshima, Nagasaki, Fukuoka and the Kyushu region. Probably Hokkaido again as well. Haha !

Anyway, back to the topic on coach travel. AirAsia does have promotional prices between KL and JB airport. I have seen below S$10 one-way flights. There is the credit card surcharges to take into account. Then the bus AA1 connects the airport to JB sentral, walking distance to the causeway checkpoint.

There is also the KTM train shuttle between JB and woodlands at some frequencies, taking just 5 minutes across the causeway. Tickets can be pre-purchased from the website.

Someday, I would like to try out these transport options.