Saturday 19 January 2019

Tour of Ubud

On my second trip to Bali last year, I had the chance to visit Ubud, Bali. Ubud is famed for the monkey forest and the many beautiful rice terraces.

From my guesthouse in Kuta, I booked a cheap Grab car ride to T Galleria Bali, then transfered to the kura kura bus towards Ubud. The journey to Ubud took over an hour, as the bus makes scheduled stops along the way, and Ubud is the last stop on this route.

I stayed two nights in a Ubud guesthouse. I shall review this guesthouse in a subsequent post. 2018 is my second time to Ubud and Bali in general. The first being 2010. Maybe it is the long time gap. I can hardly recall the surroundings of Ubud. Everything seems so new to me. But I thoroughly enjoyed the experience !

Carvings on a road surface in Ubud
Somehow reminded me of the Hollywood walk of fame in Los Angeles. Haha !

Typical Balinese architecture

On a morning hike to see rice terraces

first glimpse of rice terraces

This karsa cafe is a great place to stop on this hiking trail, not just for refreshments, also for the fantastic views from its second floor.


Great views of rice terraces

The hiking trail continues past karsa cafe, but I decided to head back to town. On the way back, I met this pair of wild cows grazing by the roadside. As someone coming from an urban city, this is an interesting stop for me!


Ubud is a must-visit for someone coming to Bali. A great place to see Balinese architecture, rice terraces and to wander in the market for handcrafted souvenirs.