Friday 8 May 2020

A half day tour of Beirut

Beirut, Lebanon wasn't initially on my travel itinerary last December. However, as I was finding flights to get me from Istanbul, Turkey to Cairo, Egypt, I came across a transit flight operated by Middle East Airline with reasonable pricing. Coupled with the flight timing being compatible with my travel plans, it didn't take me long to book myself a seat on the airline.

This gave me an opportunity to visit Beirut, the capital of Lebanon and also try out Middle East Airline, which turns out within my expectation.

My private tour of Beirut turns out well too!

From what I researched online, there seemed to be no public transport available from the airport to town. So then I decided to arrange for airport pick up service coupled with a half day tour of Beirut.

Immigration queues at Beirut airport was very short at that time. I guess not many tourists come here. Certainly not Asian tourists. The driver was already waiting at the arrivals area. We walked over to his car in the carpark and began our tour.

Pigeon rock, Beirut


First stop is the Beirut waterfront

Beautiful coastline


Local food eatery

I thought this Santa Claus was quite interesting !

There is a Beirut sightseeing bus, though with few tourists on board

Beirut National Museum

Passed by Beit Beirut, a museum

The beautiful Mohammad Al-Amin Mosque



The driver parked his car and we had a short walking tour around the mosque and the surrounding area.

There were few tourists around while I was in Beirut. But it does have some great tourist attractions. Safety wise, I was with my driver-guide at all times, so it felt very safe. In my opinion, Beirut, Lebanon is certainly worth to visit, even if on transit.