Friday 15 May 2020

My adventures in Cairo, Egypt !

No trip to Egypt is complete without visiting the Great Pyramids of Giza. Yup, so that's where I went.

After landing in Cairo, I had initially hired a driver to pick us up at the airport. Unfortunately, the driver was nowhere at the arrival area. 

Thus began my adventures with the Cairo public bus. I had seen the bus pick up passengers at the airport bus stop so I thought it would be heading into the city. However, the bus terminated at a bus station near the airport. 

After indicating to the driver my intention to go to Giza, he directed me to transfer to another bus. This second bus did go into city and terminated at a stop just outside Hilton hotel, Cairo. 

Then, this driver pointed me to transfer to another bus to Giza. This involves crossing an extremely busy road. At this point, I decided to just go into hotel to rest a while. In this hotel, there is security check before anyone can enter the hotel premises.

Fortunately, the lobby has available seats and free hotel wifi. I decided to use the wifi to arrange for a uber ride. Fortunately, I had a reliable uber driver. 

Now, near Giza, the roads consists of both paved and unpaved roads, the latter is not reflected in the uber map. Though the final destination of my accommodation is indicated, but the uber app could not provide the driver with a clear route to my exact destination. 

At first, the driver wanted me to alight along the main road close to my destination. But since I was totally unfamiliar with the environment, and it doesn't look exactly safe for tourists to wander around, I persuaded the driver to locate the destination. Soon, we entered the small roads and after asking many people, both locals and security personnel, we finally arrived right in front of my accommodation.

I had booked this guesthouse as it is very close to the pyramids. But the uber app isn't reliable in this particular area.

Anyway, I'm glad I made it to my guesthouse. 

This is the reason why I'm in Cairo. One of seven wonders of the world.

At the base of the pyramids

My room in the Horus Guesthouse

The walls are beautifully decorated with Egyptian figurines

After checking in and depositing my bags, I booked the camel ride tour to the pyramids with the owner and the receptionist. This turns out to be very expensive, but well worth it.
 
complimentary headscarf haha!

This is my ride
 
I was picked up by the camel right at the doorstep of the guesthouse
 
The great Sphinx of Giza


After a great outing at the Pyramids, the camel brought me back again to the doorstep of my guesthouse.

One advantage of staying at Horus Guesthouse is its unobstructed view of the pyramids at the rooftop. At night, we are treated to a lightshow. It is a ticketed event at the pyramids area but we can view it for free right at the guesthouse.

In the morning, the sun shone on the pyramids and the views are simply spectacular!


My breakfast with a pyramids view

After the delicious breakfast, I booked a ride at the guesthouse my next accommodation, Novotel Cairo Airport. Again, an expensive ride.

Cairo, Egypt is an expensive place for tourists. This is well expected as people from all over the world would want to come and visit the pyramids. It is truly well worth the cost to visit. I'm glad I have made this trip and visited the Pyramids of Giza !

No comments: