Sunday 7 January 2018

Singapore Airlines economy flight review -HKG to SIN to MOSCOW to ARN

SQ has and will always be my favourite airline. Firstly, because I'm Singaporean, so I am proud of my national carrier. Also because it is one of the few 5-star airlines in the world and rightfully deserve it.

I have previously taken SQ flights to Osaka, Tokyo, Taipei, Surabaya, Yangon, Hong Kong, Shanghai in economy. Frankfurt, New York, Colombo, Beijing in Business. Auckland in Suites. In every flight, I am very satisfied with the excellent cabin service in every class. Meals, in-flight entertainment, consistent and service and the frequent drinks run mid-flight makes it stand out among airlines.

In my opinion, though many airlines have since caught up with SQ, though none have so far overtaken it. However, SQ is definitely charging a premium for its excellent service. Flights departing Singapore are always more expensive on almost all sectors. To ride on SQ flights cheaply, one has to book a flight that transits in Singapore. For instance, it is cheaper to book HKG-SIN-ARN compared to SIN-ARN alone. Not sure why though.

Nearly a half year prior to my trip, I have chanced upon cheap SQ economy from HKG to SIN to Moscow to ARN on their A380 and A350 aircrafts. At a price of ~$600, it didn't take me long to decide.

Fast forward to the day of flying. At Hong Kong airport, check-in line was short but waiting time is long due to only few counters open. This is even though SQ has several flights to Hong Kong throughout the day.

My luggage is checked through all the way to Stockholm.

Really like riding on the A380. The cabin feels spacious. I have previously flown on the A380 with Qantas, SQ (in business class), Emirates, Qatar and have always enjoyed the flying experience.

Interesting display at a shop in Hong Kong airport

When travelling economy on the A380, I always choose to seat at the upper deck window if possible because there is extra storage bin due to the curvature of the fuselage.


HKG-SIN sector meal on SQ

Comes with ice-cream !

On the A350 plane, I managed to score a bulkhead window seat with unlimited legroom. Also, its easier to get out of my seat during the flight. Normally, this requires extra cost. Not sure why it's free for me to select.

SIN-MOSCOW sector dinner/supper

Ice-cream again !

I liked this interesting flavour !

SIN-MOSCOW sector breakfast

Towards Stockholm !

S7 planes at Moscow airport

This trip on SQ is very enjoyable because I get to fly on the A380 and then A350. It is my first time on the A350 and the experience is great probably also because the middle seat is empty, so more breathing space for me. The only minor issue is whenever the A350 engine started there is always this strange fuel smell inside the cabin, but it is gone just as quickly. Otherwise, I hope to fly on the A350 aircraft again!