Wednesday 3 January 2018

2018 New Year Resolutions

After a fantastic year end 2017 travelling, now is the time to make another around of resolutions for 2018. Today is the third day of 2018. 

I had wanted to do it on the first or second day, but preoccupation with work and other matters as well as procrastination set in. Haha!

As I looked back at the previous year's resolutions, I guess I had fulfilled some of those. My family is safe. We are healthy. As of today at least.

On the travelling front, I had been to Eastern Europe and South America which are on my resolutions list. As 2017 came and went, things turn out differently, as always. I ended up visiting a host of countries which I had not thought of in my list. 

I thoroughly enjoyed all my travelling in 2017, and at the same time kept a close watch on my budget to prevent myself from overspending!

Here I am proud to say that I have managed to tighten my overseas purse. Especially during the one-month travelling, apart from my pre-booked air tickets and accomodations, I spent little in terms of buying souvenirs and day to day living.

This is because I have brought only a small suitcase with me on this solo trip. It helps to remind me to buy minimum souvenirs since I don't have much storage space in the suitcase. 

Also, I brought cup noodles from home for my meals on Easter Island instead of eating out. And I snacked on biscuits and cookies purchased from supermarkets bought over there.

My main expenditures lies in the guided tours on Easter island and the hop-on-hop-off buses in various cities, which I am a big fan of, for its convenience in getting around.

Yup. So now, it's time to renew my resolutions. In 2018, I wish for my family to stay safe and healthy together. I am a firm believer of health over wealth. I don't need a lot of $. Just enough to get by and for me to travel.

Speaking of travelling, I will need to set aside time to blog about my recent one-month long trip across three continents. Not sure how long it's going to take me to post though. Haha.

As I go into 2018, I had some interesting trips booked ahead. 

First up is my cny trip to down under. Darwin, in the northern territory. I have been thinking about visiting Cairns as well, which is also in the north. But the costs of air tickets from Darwin to Cairns is way beyond my budget, although it is a domestic flight. As much as I like to see the great barrier reef, I might have to wait for an opportune time.

In March, during the school holidays, I will be visiting new Delhi, India to take advantage of the cheap Cathay pacific business class flights to Beijing, China. I will be spending some days in Beijing. 

As I have visited Beijing twice previously, I am thinking of visiting other nearby cities from there. Maybe Tianjin, Xi'An, Harbin,... Many cities of China that I haven't been to yet, despite having been to China ~6 times. Yup. Will need another blog post to sort this China trip out.

Moving on into June, I will be heading to Europe again. But this time, to more exotic Svalbard, literally at the top of the world, and also faroe islands. Thanks to cheap air tickets by SAS.

So these are all my pre-booked trips in 2018 for now. Of course, I'm thankful to be able to travel at all. I will strive to keep myself fit and healthy so that I can explore more of this world. On a budget.

As I mention in my 2017 resolutions post, these destinations are not my bucket list places. They are just places I'm keen to visit. As far as I'm concerned, I have no longer a bucket list. I have already fulfilled my previous list. Having been to the big, famous cities of the world such as Tokyo, Seoul, Shanghai, New York, Los Angeles, San Francisco, London and Paris, I am very much contented with travelling.

Going into 2018, other than my pre-booked trips, I am keen to visit Ireland, South Africa and South America. But if I don't get to visit them, no regrets.

That's all for my 2018 new year resolutions!