Wednesday 24 January 2018

Stockholm Jumbo Hostel review '17

Today is my 'off ' day. Possibly my first ' off ' in years. I work in the public service. As a civil servant, I'm required to work 5 days a week. There are no 'off ' days, no 'annual leave' although on paper we are granted some.

With my precious day off, I headed off to Universal Studios Singapore. Arriving on a weekday noon time, there was very little crowd. Having been to Universal Studios Osaka, Los Angeles, this is my first time to the Singapore version.

As a first time visitor, I feel that my local version is much smaller than elsewhere. It can literally be covered on foot in an hour. Probably land-scarce Singapore. The rides are exciting as usual, though limited in number. Queues are 'only' half an hour long, compared to hours overseas.

Taking bus 123 from Tiong Bahru station into RWS cost me 20cents, after transferring from the mrt. Within and leaving Sentosa, the monorail is actually free, something that I learnt only yesterday. Previously I had walked the boardwalk, which covers quite a distance on foot. Anyway, a great day @ USS !

After visiting the magnificent Budapest, the next day, we headed to the airport. Fortunately, the airport bus stop is a 10 minute walk from the hostel. The bus comes frequently and payment is made to the driver. Luckily, he gave the change.

In the morning, the bus can get quite crowded towards the airport. Most passengers are tourists as well. There are limited luggage space so it's good to be first few on board.

The modern budapest airport bus stop is located between the two terminal buildings which are just beside each other. We ride on Norwegian airline to Stockholm. This is now my second time flying Norwegian airline, so I know what to expect. The free wifi is still great!

After the uneventful flight to Stockholm, I proceeded to my Jumbo Hostel. The hostel is served by a free shuttle bus service from the airport. The stop name is the hostel itself.

The bus stop at the Jumbo hostel

Jumbo Hostel

Jumbo hostel

The lift up to the reception. It is functional but not exactly user friendly. There are staircases beside as well.  

It costs $ to walk on the wing ! The view here is great enough.

A corridor with dorms on both sides


There are some pictures hanging along the corridor providing a history of this plane and aviation in general.


Good to know

My dorm. I'm the first to arrive and first to leave in this dorm. I will be joined by two others in the night.

Four-sharing dorm. Bed and pillow are comfortable for the night, though it still gets cold in here. This is december in the Scandinavia.


This particular toilet at the reception is huge. There are smaller ones along the hallway. All the toilets are kept clean.

Dining room at beside the reception.

This plane once served Singapore Airlines.

A model of the Jumbo hostel converted from a B747 plane.

Useful info for the visitor on the screen.

The curvature of the plane is obvious in this setup.

I only booked a dorm for the night. And possibly the last available one at the time of booking. Food and souvenirs are available for purchase. It has certainly been a great novel experience. 

This is the only place in the world to experience sleeping on a bed, in a real plane, without paying for first or business class.

If I need to stay overnight near Stockholm airport, I will certainly stay here again. For the price I paid , Jumbo hostel has exceeded my expectations. A great place to stay!