Saturday 17 February 2018

Easter Island airport review

In my opinion, Easter Island airport is one of the coolest airport in the world. No, it doesn't have all the amenities found in Singapore Changi airport, or Hong Kong airport, or Seoul Incheon airport. It is not consistently rated one of the best airports in the world. 

In fact, it only has some duty free shops and a cafe both landside and airside. There is no business class lounge for latam's premium passengers.

Easter Island is situated in the midst of the mighty Pacific Ocean. The nearest land, I believe, is Santiago, Chile, ~4 hours flight time away.


After 4 hours later, the first sight of Easter Island came into view. I'm fortunate to see it on the left side. The plane makes a big round before landing.

Final approach to Easter Island

There is no airbridge on Easter Island. Not that it ever needs one. The airport serves at most two Latam flights a day. One from Santiago and one from Tahiti. Some Latam flights from Santiago will carry on to Tahiti. Same for the return journey.


There are two lanes towards the airport terminal building. One is immigration to enter Easter Island. The other is transit for onward journey to Tahiti or Santiago.

Every visitor to Easter Island needs to purchase a park ticket to visit several attractions here. And this ticket is only available for purchase here. So everyone will queue up to get one. And it's not cheap.

Since my flight is a domestic flight, there is no need for immigration. So after purchasing the ticket, I waited for my baggage before meeting my Easter Island host. 

On Easter Island, airport transfer is included for most accommodation stays. The host will meet the guest at the arrival area and hang a traditional lei around the neck.

On departure from Easter Island, I had a chance to roam around the duty free shops. I purchased a few souvenirs which sadly I will probably not see again. Haha!

Upon entering the terminal building, all luggage had to be scanned with friendly security personnel. Then on the left are some duty free shops. On the right are Latam check-in counters. I'm surprised that there is a separate queue for business class passengers. There is no queue at all when I arrived.


After passing through immigration and security, there are both indoor and outdoor seating area, some duty-free shops and a cafe.

Here's where I spent most of the time waiting for my flight. 

Moai at the airport

The outdoor area makes for some great plane-spotting. Not that there are a lot of planes to spot. At most two latam planes at the airport at any given time of day.

Boarding a B787 by stairs. How often can we experience this ? 😊