Wednesday 7 February 2018

SG mrt trains interesting phenomenon

From young, I always had a fondness for trains. Not sure why though. Whether the local mrt trains, or long distance trains overseas, I enjoyed staring out train windows, looking at the train tracks and the passing scenery.

It's the same whenever I'm on a plane. The passing view of the sky, 39,000 feet above ground level, always fascinates me. Sometimes I observe cloud formations, sometimes I just look far over the horizon, in the cloudless sky. At night, on a cloudless day, the million of stars become visible and got my attention.

So yesterday I was taking the local mrt train on the north-south line. I observed some interesting phenomenon on train operations and wanted to blog about it here. Not sure how long they have existed.

Anyway, on the north-south line, the train depot is at Bishan. I visited once at their open house in 1997. And that was their only open house to date.

On weekdays after 7pm, I noticed some alternate northbound trains will terminate at Ang Mo Kio station using the middle platform. After which, it will head back to depot in the reverse direction. The next train comes in shortly and will head towards Jurong East. But they end up very packed. Some trains will terminate at Yishun. I'm guessing they will head back to Bishan depot too. Just not sure whether they will ferry passengers for a few stops on the other direction.

On weekdays between 10am and 12pm, alternate southbound trains will again terminate at Ang Mo Kio station using the middle platform, with the alternate train heading south. Due to low ridership at this time where most people are either at work or in school, usually the trains are not packed, but probably not enough seats for everyone.

In the early morning hours of 6am onwards, trains launch from the Bishan depot in the northbound direction, so Ang Mo Kio station is the first stop. Many passengers will usually board these empty trains and get their choice of seats.  If a train from Marina Bay comes along, many of them will wait for the next one, which is usually empty. Sometimes, consecutively 2 or more empty trains will enter the station before the packed train comes. This is definitely good for commuters heading north from Ang Mo Kio station.

Also, I notice that the train separation distance is very short. For example, a train stops in the station. The train behind will be waiting just a few metres before the station. From what I can see, before the first train completely leaves the station, the next train will have entered the station already.