Sunday 25 February 2018

Updates on my 2018 holiday trips & SQ 787-10 business class

I'm very thankful that I am able and have the means to travel overseas for a vacation. Over the years, especially since last year, I have learnt to be conscious of my holiday budget and not overspend. So I'll be adopting the same travelling mindset in 2018.

Due to a sudden turn of events, as in one day before I was due to fly to Darwin, I did not get to visit Darwin during the cny. Instead, I spent the holiday in Genting, Malaysia. Though I have been to Genting many times by now, it was still enjoyable and I visited Kuala Lumpur as well. So Darwin, and probably Cairns will be set aside for another vacation. Haha ! This time, I will try and combine these two cities in one trip.

In March 2018, I will be positioning to New Delhi, India for my Cathay Pacific business class flights to Beijing, China. For the couple of days in China, as I have already been to Beijing twice, I intend to visit Wuhan, Hefei and Xi'an for the terracotta army museum. This will be my first time visiting these cities. I will be doing so by train, including overnight trains to save time and budget. With that, I won't be staying at a hotel in China at all.

This is also my first time booking train tickets on ctrip mobile. Hopefully, my bookings will turn out well.

Though I have been to China for about 6 times now, there are still many cities I have yet to uncover. I think it will take me many more vacations to completely explore the whole of China.

In June, before heading to Europe, I chanced upon SQ 787-10 business class flight tickets Osaka-Singapore return costing ~$950. It didn't take me long to decide as I know from experience that the tickets will be gone quickly. The fares were only around for a couple of days too.

SQ 787-10 planes are regionally configured with new regional business class seats arranged in 1-2-1 configuration. I have previously travelled on SQ A330 regional business class and SQ 77W and A380 long haul business class seats. SQ will be the first airline in the world to start flying the B787-10 plane in May 2018 so I'm excited to try their latest business class seats at a low cost.

Unfortunately, the low costs were booked originating from Osaka, so I will need to book positioning flights to Osaka as well. Well, a small price to pay for SQ's excellent in-flight service! Since I will be in Osaka, I'm also trying to work out the possibility of visiting Honolulu, Hawaii since both Scoot and Airasia X operates cheap flights from Osaka. Will update on this development soon.

After Osaka, I will commence my tour of Europe. My plans starts to firm up due to the availability of affordable flight tickets. Other than Svalbard and Faroe islands, both of which I am very excited about, I'll be visiting the following places:

Dubronik, Croatia. A Unesco city with many impressive scenery seen from newspapers. I chanced upon cheap flight tickets from Manchester to Zadar. From there, I plan to take an overnight coach to Dubronik. Will need time to iron out the details.

The Golden Pass train in Switzerland. The Golden Pass train actually consists of 3 separate trains taken in series along a very scenic route from Luzern to Montreux or vice versa.

Amalfi coast and the isle of Capri. Another beautiful place in Italy. I have already booked my hotel in Amalfi. As it a popular tourist destination and the hotel costs may rise quickly.

Just the planning of the itinerary makes me very excited. I can't wait to get to these places. Hopefully, things will turn out well!

Meanwhile, I will continue to work hard and take good care of myself so that I can visit these places in the world. I must always remember that travelling is a privilege and not something to take for granted. With that, thank you.