Thursday 22 February 2018

Virgin America domestic flights thoughts

After my Easter Island highlight, I took the great Latam business class flight via Santiago back to Mexico City. I arrived at Mexico City in the morning and due to depart for San Francisco at night. As I have already explored Mexico City prior to Easter Island, I decided to book the Izzzleep hotel (capsule hotel) and rest for the day. A waste of time in Mexico City, I know. On hindsight, it might be cheaper to explore the city and leave my luggage at the luggage deposit for a small fee.

Anyway, my aeromexico flight reached San Francisco at ~11pm. My flight out of San Francisco is at 6am the following morning. So I decided to overnight at the airport canteen area. Fortunately, there is a bench for me to lie down for a couple of hours. There are a few others overnighting at the canteen as well. 

Having travelled to many countries, there are only very few times that I would overnight at the airport. This arrangement might not be totally safe as my luggage is not secure and may be stolen while I sleep. Also, there might be people around up to no good. Fortunately, my gamble paid off and I overnighted safely.

About 2.5 hours before my flight out, I made my way to the Virgin America check-in counter in the domestic terminal via the 24 hour  airtrain.

On this month-long trip, I took the Virgin American flight twice. Once SFO-SAN and the other SFO-LAX.

On the first flight,  check-in was smooth but the flight was delayed due to a technical issue. All passengers had to deplane and wait for ~1 hour to board another plane.

On the second flight, there was a hiccup during the check-in which could potentially throw off the rest of my travel plans. The check-in agent initially informed me that I was unable to board the flight and advised me to contact Hainan airlines which ticketed the flight. After doing the international call to Hainan airlines in China, things turned out smoothly and a second check-in agent was able to check me in without issue. Fortunately, the Hainan airlines call was quickly answered and my queries addressed. Otherwise, I might end up buying another flight ticket.

This second flight ended up very delayed, and I had to rush through the very, very long connecting walkways at LAX just in time to catch my Hainan airlines flight to Asia. Sadly, my luggage didn't make the transfer due to the delay.

Delays aside, boarding Virgin America plane is a cool experience. Boarding mood lighting is great and with all the window shades closed,  creates a very unique experience. I have not experienced this on any other airline. 

I can actually keep the window shade down from boarding right up to disembarking at my destination ! 

How many airlines let passengers do this ?

Not to mention the safety aspect of this as passengers will not be aware of what's happening outside the plane.

As both domestic flights are very short sectors of ~1 hour each, I'm not sure of the practice for longer flight sectors.

Entertainment controller is located on the armrest itself.

Virgin America short haul narrowbody planes are equipped with IFE for all passengers. A great perk!

Anyway, I reached San Diego ~ 1 hour behind schedule. In my next post, I shall detail my visit to San Diego. It is not as touristy as neighbouring San Francisco, but still worth a visit.