Wednesday 15 August 2018

Embracing connecting flights on my travels

Direct flights are usually more expensive than connecting flights because of the convenience, shorter travelling times and avoiding the hassle of transiting at a layover airport.

However, recently, I have embraced booking myself on connecting flights. Main reason is, of course, the lower costs of booking such flights. Another reason, which turns out to be a benefit for me, is the option to explore an additional country or city during a long layover.

For example, during my recent trip in June, in getting from Copenhagen to Delhi, I have booked myself on a 3 segment flight from Copenhagen - Zurich - Muscat - Delhi via various airlines. Instead of the direct flight on Air India. At that time of booking, the direct flight and this connecting flight prices out quite closely. In the end, I booked the this later flight which gives me a chance to visit additional cities at little or no extra cost. And it's proven to be worthwhile.

On the scenic golden pass route in Switzerland

Touring in Muscat

In my upcoming trip in September, in getting from Singapore to Los Angeles, after looking at various options, including the direct, but exorbitantly priced United flight, I have booked myself on the 1-stop option on Fiji Airways with a long layover in Nadi. Hopefully the weather will turn out nice for me to spend a day exploring Fiji. My first time on Fiji !

In my year-end trip, part of my itinerary requires me to get from Seoul to Chicago. Again, a direct flight is going to be costly. But various connecting options on google  flights are beyond my travel budget as well.

So I started to get creative in my routing. At the time of booking, AirAsia is offering discounted price on its fifth freedom flight from Osaka to Honolulu. Now, I have been wanting to visit Hawaii for a long time now. And Hawaii is on the way between Asia and the United States. After more research, I managed to find reasonably priced routes that can position myself to Chicago.

In the end, my transpacific itinerary becomes as such:
Seoul - Osaka - Honolulu - San Francisco - Seattle - Chicago

Taking into account specific flight timings, this itinerary will give me a whole day in Osaka, thinking of visiting Universal Studios and two days on Hawaii. I can't to visit Pearl Harbour and Diamond Head ! Unfortunately, my tight schedule also means that I can't get to visit San Francisco and Seattle, both being short layovers. But it's alright. I can't have my cake and eat it too! I'll make do with Hawaii 😃

As my December trip is taking shape, there are only two long haul segments that I have yet to finalize. The first is getting from Asia to Almaty. Originally, I intended to fit in a Central Asia tour as well, but this will overstretch my travel budget. I try to be realistic as well. So now I decided to just turn it into a positioning flight instead. Central Asia will have to leave it to another time.

Now, Aeroflot, a Russian airline based in Moscow, offers affordable fares from certain points in Asia to Almaty via their hub in Moscow. Up to this point, I have neither been to Moscow nor taken a flight on Aeroflot. So travelling on Aeroflot airlines will have two advantages for me. Still thinking ... 💭

The other long haul segment is getting back from Europe to Asia. Again, I am thinking about Aeroflot as well as currently they offer the cheapest one way option via Moscow. But I will probably leave this booking nearer the date as I am not sure when I'm due back in Singapore. If possible, I would like to spend more time in Europe, especially Eastern Europe!