Thursday 9 August 2018

Switzerland Golden Pass train review

The golden pass train covers a scenic route in Switzerland. The route actually involves taking three consecutive trains. The route begins in Lucerne and heading towards Interlaken. Another train continues the journey to zweisimmen. Finally, a third train segment connects to montreux.

Scenery en-route on the golden pass train


If planned well, these three segments can be travelled in a day. A same day return is possible as well, though it will be a long day.

I have read about the golden pass train some time ago and figuring out a budget way of stopping by Zurich on my Europe tour. Initially, I couldn't find cheap tickets to Zurich on the days I wanted. 

Later on, thanks to expedia flights, a route becomes available for booking, taking me from Copenhagen to New Delhi via a day's transit in Zurich, which is what I had hoped for. I was naturally happy about this !

After the flights are booked and in order, I checked out the train tickets. After some online research, it seems that there is no special tickets necessary for the golden pass trains. 

The swiss train website sells many types of Swiss tickets online. This can be confusing for first time visitors. More research is done before I discovered the swiss saver day pass at an affordable price. This pass proved cheaper than if I were to purchase the single tickets separately, so I purchased it online. I stored the pass qr code in the swiss train app downloaded into my phone for checks by the train attendants. There is no need to print out the saver pass ticket.

By now, I have settled my flights through Zurich and the train tickets. I moved on the plan my precious day in Switzerland. The golden pass train has a dedicated website with all the train timings. For each train segment, there are a few timings available.

I realized that I won't have sufficient time to completely cover all three segments of the golden train and make it back to the airport for my flight. So sadly, I planned to take the train from Zurich airport to Lucerne, then connect to two of the three segments of the train, all the way to zweisimmen.

Online reviews have indicated that the most scenic train route is actually the third segment from zweisimmen to montreux. I guess I have to save it for another time. haha!

From zweisimmen, I planned my train route back to Zurich airport.

Fast forward to the day itself, after a second pleasant overnight at Copenhagen airport airside, I went in search for a budget breakfast set at the airport terminal.


Spotted the new and old SAS livery on two adjacent aircrafts

By now, I have taken a number of intra-European flights, with a few of them on SAS. Service is as usual on these flights, so I shall not review them anymore.

After landing in Zurich, I made my way to the connecting train station in the airport terminal. Quite a long walk indeed.

Swiss train

I'm the only passenger in this coach

Arriving at Lucerne train station

I had some time in Lucerne before my golden pass train, so decided to explore the old town on foot.

This is actually my second time to Lucerne. I first visited here in 2012 winter. Nothing much has changed from what I remembered. The old town still looks great! The pleasant summer weather and clear sky really makes the scenery even better.


I like the artwork on chapel bridge



Back at the Lucerne train station, the golden pass train features larger than usual windows for passengers to admire the scenery en-route.

My train seat even features the golden pass train route map

Beautiful scenery through the swiss alps in summer


The water in the lake is in an amazing turquoise green colour.
 
A small train carriage

Some trains are painted in golden pass livery

Wandering around the small, friendly swiss town of zweisimmen


The first two segments of the golden pass train route really features amazing scenery. The train is not crowded at all and it moves at a slower speed for passengers to absorb the scenery all around. If passing by Switzerland, this scenic route is highly recommended !

As the train made its way back to Zurich, an annoucement was made regarding an incident on the tracks between Zurich main station and the airport station, so all trains were diverted. An alternative route to the airport was suggested but that would take about an hour longer. This happened at the evening peak hour, so there were crowds of people from work and tourists.

With a quick research, I chanced upon a faster tram route from near the zurich train station direct to the airport. I quickly got some swiss coins and purchase my tram ticket at the tram stop at ground level. Not sure whether I need to validate the ticket though. I didn't see any ticket machine at the stop or on the tram. Neither did anyone check my tram ticket on the journey. I just simply hopped on and off the tram.

Fortunately, the tram frequency was great and it slowly winds it way through the Zurich neighbourhood towards the airport.

What a great day in Switzerland for me !