Thursday 23 August 2018

Vistara premium economy flight review

Vistara airlines is currently a domestic airline based in India. This will soon change though, as they have indicated interest in flying overseas. Hopefully they fly to Singapore!


Vistara is a full-service carrier and Singapore airlines has a stake in it. After the flight in premium economy class, I feel that the service-oriented flight attendants and meal quality does indeed live up to SIA's top notch reputation, at least in premium economy.

So after a great day visiting the Taj Mahal, a wonder of the world, I was dropped off at Delhi's domestic airport terminal. I booked Vistara because (1) the flight timing is suitable for me, (2) the ticket cost is reasonable and (3) one new airline for me to try out. 😀

The check-in queue is rather long at economy and only slightly shorter at premium economy. Upon inquiry, I was unable to check-in my luggage onto my connecting SQ flight, as they were on separate tickets. So I had to transfer my luggage myself. More on the transfer later.



No PTVs in premium economy. I think they need to install PTVs if Vistara plans to fly overseas. Unless these planes are meant for domestic flights only.

Inflight magazine. Drink and towel service

For premium economy, the airline could use higher quality trays. The Vistara-labeled bottle of water is great.

Jet Airways turboprop plane

Upon arrival in Ahmedabad airport, it was a quick exit out of the airport since it's a domestic flight. It was nicely timed to coincide with my SQ flight back to Singapore. Of course, with little leeway for flight delays.

From my online research, I found out that at Ahmedabad airport, the domestic and international terminals are separated but a covered walkway was recently built and in operation to facilitate passengers to commute between the two terminals. Upon exiting the arrival hall of the domestic terminal, the entrance to the walkway is right across the airport road.

It didn't open at all hours, only during the evening hours. Fortunately it was open while I was connecting there at this hour. This is an impressive, but underused walkway equipped with rows of travelators. At one point, I was the only passenger present along the entire walkway.


Coming up from the walkway, the international terminal is once again across the airport road. Very convenient.

From what I experienced, it is possible and quite convenient to connect between domestic and international flights at Ahmedabad airport during the evening hours. Though I'm not sure whether the walkway's open at other hours. There is only little information online about this walkway at this point. Probably because this airport is not big on connections.

Anyway, I think Vistara's premium economy service is alright and there are certainly lots for improvement, especially if it was to start flying internationally.

With this, it is a great start to my series of SQ business class flights from Ahmedabad all the way to New York city!